Deer loads in 6ppc for roe!!!

varminter

I have recently done a experiment with my 6ppc ( 270 neck / 220 Russian brass ) .

When i had the stanadard 6ppc usa running 6ppc usa brass , When i ran experiments to get it deer legal i had to stick to the 70 grainers!!!

Now i am running a krieger 270 neck and neck turned 220 Russian brass ( which gives me more volume for powder capacity ) i thought i would experiment with some nosler 85 grain SPs to see if i could hit the 1700FT LBS energy figures as it already meets the minimum 240 caliber requirements..

Heres the groups plus velocities / energy figures............... DSCF1420.jpg

As you can see i was able to meet the deer legal energy figures with no signs of pressure and still a half a grain to go on my home loads.........

I will say this load should be a great roe deer load and if i want to shoot anything bigger i would use my 6.5-284!!!!

This is the round i used for testing and sadly they dont make them no more!!..............DSCF1418.jpg

If any of you guys have any you do not have a use for please let me know and would gladly buy them off you, thankyou!!!

Your thoughts are always appreciated fellas and as you can see from this experiment , this load meet all criteria for england / wales for deer energies , plus not too bad accuracy!!!

All the best...........

RAY................. :(:D

Hi Ray, the 87gr Hornady HPBT gives very similar results with impressive terminal ballistics. You can also attain deer legal velocities and excellent terminal results with 70ish grain bullets and n133. My current loading is 71gr Berger boat tails over n133 (i forget what load exactly) but it gets me over the 1700ft/lbs comfortably and roe/muntjac have all been one shot kills. I recently shot a doe muntjac and the exit wound was about the size of a 50p piece however inside the carcass the ribs on the exit side were pul;verised over an area about the size of your hand and the heart and lungs were soup. She fell over on the spot. Can't argue with that really. Close range has to be neck shots though as the round is very fast and the effect of a chest shot up to around 40 yards looks like a chainsaw massacre. The cavitation and violent expansion negates the need for a knife to carry out the gralloch (this is with perfectly placed heart shots).

The 87s due to their greater mass and integrity do not display such violent behavior at close range and up to around 300yards display excellent mass retention of around 50% when extracted from carcasses.

Hope this helps

Gareth

Nice to have your input zaitsev ;) ;) Like yourself , i have used 70 and 80 grainer's to make deer legal and good performance too!!!

Nice to hear someone else putting the awesome accuracy of the ppc for hunting - thanks for that!!

Would be interested in others experiences too!!!!

All the best............

RAY....................... :D;)

Varminter,

Try a pm to Smeagle as they may be still being sold on the Australian Market.

My suggestion is because Nosler have been making some of the bullets they no longer sell on the US (and therefore UK) market specifically for the Australian market. They may be doing these 243 as well.

I have just purchased a 1000 of the 22 cf 50 and 55grn that havent been in production for over 8 years on the home market.

If Smeagle cannot help, pm me and I will give you the email of a friend in the US that can probabley get some direct from Nosler before they are exported.

Varminter,

Try a pm to Smeagle as they may be still being sold on the Australian Market.

My suggestion is because Nosler have been making some of the bullets they no longer sell on the US (and therefore UK) market specifically for the Australian market. They may be doing these 243 as well.

I have just purchased a 1000 of the 22 cf 50 and 55grn that havent been in production for over 8 years on the home market.

If Smeagle cannot help, pm me and I will give you the email of a friend in the US that can probabley get some direct from Nosler before they are exported.

Thank you very much buddy - its because of guys like yourself who are a such a great help that makes this site as good as it is!!!

Thanks.................. ;) ;)

All the best........

RAY.................. :D;)

In my PPC 270neck I use Barts 68gr FBHP bullets over N133 in lapua .220 Russian brass. I have not shot many deer with it but every one I have shot with them has dropped on the spot, ranges varied from about 80 yards to about 125 yards. My rifle does not really like anything above 68gr, it shoots moa yes with 70grs and that is ok for most deer shots but poor for the caliber in general.

A

In my PPC 270neck I use Barts 68gr FBHP bullets over N133 in lapua .220 Russian brass. I have not shot many deer with it but every one I have shot with them has dropped on the spot, ranges varied from about 80 yards to about 125 yards. My rifle does not really like anything above 68gr, it shoots moa yes with 70grs and that is ok for most deer shots but poor for the caliber in general.

A

Hi buddy thanks for reply :lol: What kind of 6ppc are you using and am i right in saying you have the 1 in 14 twist rate on your barrel????

As you can see , my rifle seems to shoot the 85 grainer's quite well !! Bit i do have a 1 in 12 twist rate on the krieger - When the rifle was standard it still had a 1 in 12 twist...

This rifle loves anything from my favorite varmint load the 58 v-max right up to the 85 grainer's that i tried recently!!!!

Thanks and all the best...........

RAY................. :P;)

Hi Ray,

Its one of Callums with as you rightly guessed a 1 in 14 twist number 5 profile (Shilen) so 68gr is the optimum weight for it. I mainly use 65gr Vmax for foxes etc but in rape stubbles etc switch to the Barts which have a slight edge accuracy wise. I think I have missed foxes in rape as bullets have hit stalks on the way to the target, missed one sideways on at about 120 yards a few years ago hence the switch.

I have been following your posts and am intending to try some 58 grainers, the 55gr NBTs I have been playing with recently are Ok but not as explosive as VMAX.

A

Hi Ray,

Its one of Callums with as you rightly guessed a 1 in 14 twist number 5 profile (Shilen) so 68gr is the optimum weight for it. I mainly use 65gr Vmax for foxes etc but in rape stubbles etc switch to the Barts which have a slight edge accuracy wise. I think I have missed foxes in rape as bullets have hit stalks on the way to the target, missed one sideways on at about 120 yards a few years ago hence the switch.

I have been following your posts and am intending to try some 58 grainers, the 55gr NBTs I have been playing with recently are Ok but not as explosive as VMAX.

A

Thanks for reply buddy :lol: Would be good to hear how you get on with 58 v-maxs - not only are they very explosive on pests they are very accurate too!!!! ;):P

You mention you have one of callums rifles , a very nice tool indeed :D:P Any chance of some pics of her please???? Always interesting to see what other people use and their experinces!!!

All the very best..................

RAY....................... :o:P

Archived