Finally a trip away!

Got in from work 6pm on friday night, and quickly watched the weather, general concensus was fine all weekend, so as this is one of the first full weekends iv had off in over 2 months i packed the truck and headed north to a patch of wood that my sindicated has got outside inverary, did want to take the old man but he doesnt like things happening at short notice so i went myself.

Arrived in the wood at quater to 1 on saturday morning, a few hours sleep and the alarm went of at 4.30.

Stalked saturday moving with no avail, had covered 70% of the 4000 acres (alot of clearfell) and only saw one doe :D So was abit annoyed. Anyway i spent the rest of the morning driving round checking access and areas which i hadnt been in before, as its been well over 5 years since i was last in this wood!

Was abit stumped as what to do in the evening, but a decided to stalk a patch of 7-10 year old sitka that buts up against a mature crop up a hill side. Alot of activity of reds in this patch, but nothin recent and a carried on till i reached the mature crop, as i got there i poked my head round the last tree and up the ride was a buck, but in a dip i could only see his antlers bobbing up an down, which off sticks gave me no shot, so after abit of sly manureving i got him just before he fed back into the forest, a quick squeek to stop him and put his head up and 168gr of A-max went on its way. Thought about staying for a crack at a stag as we have an open licence on this ground, however it was rough and steep ground, i physically wouldnt have been able to get a stag out of this patch if id shot one, so with that in mind i packed up and headed home after a successful stalk last night.

Just looking forward to heading up next time with my father and the quad and gettin in among the reds :D

This is the little fello, also the first deer i have taken with the old M65A, abit heavy as a stalking rifle, but it god dam shoots well!!!

And if anyone objects to me using A-max for deer, lets jus say this is the photogenic side of the head, the bullet broke up taking the side of the face off and implanting it through the atlas joint, he certaily didnt feel it

PIC00909.jpg

Hi Shrek!!!,

Glad you had a good trip mate and a nice photo too!!! :D :D

As for heavy rifles mate , i am just like yourself!! - i prefer them!!! ;)

nice looking rifle ;) do you have any more photos of her??? ;) , i have been using the 155 a-maxs in the Parker Hale and they shoot a treat!!! :D :D

Happy eating and all the best............................

RAY..................................... :D;)

Just a quicky on the A-max for deer, on butchering i found imbedded in the atlas joint 39gr of intact but mangled jacket and lead core, it could clearly be seen this was the base of the bullet but the remains of the jacket, considering this had gone throught the nasal cavity, jawbone base of the scull and into the spinal colum it held together rather well, just what i would expect with any good hunting bullet!

Archived