Foxing with the .270

kip270

With work and moving home over the last few weeks taking up much of my time it’s nice to be off this weekend, titivating in my gun room, getting my deer trophies on the wall and just general mooching about.

I had arranged to go lamping with Dan on Wednesday & Thursday but the weather put pay to those sessions, so with today being nice I was waiting for a txt from Dan asking if we were going out tonight. Sure enough at 5.30 the txt came through, so I said I would pick him up after 9pm.

I got to his place at 9:30pm, and then we got to our permission at roughly 9:45, and got everything out of the car we were in the first field by 9:50, then it was a case of setting up, so by 10pm we were ready and off on our way.

Dan was the shooter and he had my .270, after his session the other day on paper if we came across a fox it wouldn’t stand much of a chance of getting away.

I scanned around as we walked to the next field, spotted a lone rabbit, then as we were nearing the next field with sheep & lambs in we spotted the tell tale sign of a fox, so we slowly stalked closer, I was using the red filter and the fox wasn’t bothered by the light.

I didn’t bother with any calls at all, we made it to the fence and Dan settled on a fence post, I slipped the filter round so Dan had some white light; he wasn’t steady so took a deep breath and then calmed himself down for the shot. The fox was led down but giving us a look now & again “BANG” “Thump” the fox fell on its side, a cracking shot and we had only been in the field a matter of 10 minutes.

I pinged it with my Lazer range finder, 181 yards.

Foxingwith270001-2.jpg

When we got to the fox it was a perfect shot, a Dog fox and it had something in it’s mouth, on closer inspection of what was left it was a small rabbit.

Foxingwith270004-1.jpg

Foxingwith270007.jpg

Foxingwith270008.jpg

We carried on round the permission but didn’t see any other foxes, but there will be a very happy farmer when I let him know how we got on.

My young apprentice is coming along nicely with all aspects of shooting, the way he handle’s either rifle or shotgun, he is very safe and also knows when not to take the shot.

Roll on May when we get him out for his first Roe Buck, I’m as excited as he his.

Good on you. Nice to see someone bringing a young lad on and nice to see someone putting the good old .270 to good use, too often the calibre gets knocked. Sometimes it seems that unless you've got the latest 6.47x284/338'06 UmBongo then you might as well not go out!! JC

Archived