6.5 x 55 reloading advise

Millwall Paul

Hi

Can anyone offer me some helpfull advise please, I'm new to reloading and have just made up a batch of 6.5 x 55 ammunition with 140 gn sierra game kings with 42 gns of Viht 160. I tried a couple of rounds of my mates home loads throgh my rifle (sako 75 stainless synthetic) which were loaded up to 44 gns of 160 but they were runing way to hot. How comes there would be such a difference when his rifle is also a sako 75? Also as I've backed the powder off for my rifle my friend has informed me that I shouldn't expect the ammo to group very well. Would it be best to run it all through a crono and up the load until it groups well and isn't showing dangerous pressure signs? If it is best to do it the latter way, what kind of steps should I be taking with the powder, .5 gns?

Any advice would be most greatfully recieved.

My manual shows a max load of 46.7g of 160 for a 140gr bullet.

What I do is start 10 to 12% below the maximum, then increase in 1 to 2% jumps until I get to the maximum. I make batches of 4 in each weight.

When I fire off the groups I find that there will be open groups and tighter groups. I then stick with the tightest groups and start looking at the seating depths.

Try this link optimal charge weight

Archived