Virgin Vixens

PeteL

Within the last three weeks, I've shot two young vixens in good nick which were not pregnant or nursing (I looked). I've not come across this in previous years. Why should vixens be in this state at this time of year, the usual breeding season. Is this normal, or is there some other factor at work?. Perhaps they are YOY and will be breeding a little later on. Any opinions?.

Peter

We got that last year and figured it was a sister looking after the dominant vixen who had the cubs. Whether that's right or wrong I don't know but it's what we came up with. Lately most vixens we've shot have either been pregnant or already dropped them.

Peter I shot 5 the night before last ,two of which were Vixons ,they were both Baron , but like yours in very good condition.

One of the dogs had mange and I did him a big favour , but the other two were tip top.

I have noticed in other years that I have had vixons ,some what smaller than the norm and in good condition ,my thoughts have been that they are from a very late litter and the Vixons are not mature enough to have come into season .

As I say this is only my thoughts and someone out there may have a better reason.

cheers Andy :lol:

I have read that any late cubs from the previous year will come into season a little later, or perhaps may not come into season at all.

If it was a case of all vixens coming into season, then they would have to mate before 312 days old.

Otherwise they would be having there cubs over a year after they were born themselves.

In this case there would be cubs being born later and later each year, until we ended up with cubs born all year round.

I hope this makes sense.

I'll put it down to the increasing numbers of foxes, the old dogs are exhaused doing there work, just to many vixens to service...

I know im probably talking out of my arse but its still a good point to make if you need an excuse to justify another night out lampin in a week!! ;)

Archived