17HMR

A friend has just bought himself a new CZ 17HMR.

He zeroed it and used it to good effect on a few rabbits, a week later he takes it out again to find it is shooting 2 inches left at 100 yards off a bipod. says it has not been banged , scope is a Luepold. He rezero' s fine, but trying off a wing mirror in his landrover it is 2 inches high at 100 yards !

It shoots decent groups and the barrel is not fouling the stock so he says. Any idea why it should shoot to a different point of impact when shot on a bipod prone and a drivers wingmirror.

Thanks

A

Are you certain it's not fouling on the stock anywhere? It seems strange that the zero should move depending on how the rifle is supported so I would double check. Maybe sand it out a little to give more space between the stock and barrel too. Check all the screws are tight and nothing can move.

Does he have a mod fitted? Is it in perfect line with the bore? Does the zero move if you remove the mod and re-fit it?

I have not checked the rifle myself but he says the barrel is clear. It does have a moddy of some sort but I think it was factory threaded. Shots are from cold barrell so no moving when warm.

To me it sounds like, a, barrel touching stock, or b, moddy issue, or c scope or mount issue. Just wondered if any of you CZ lads have come accross this problem.

A

Guest Scotland Rifles

I would ask him to undo the stock screws then tighten it using the rear screw first ( tight but not mad tight ) then tighten the front screw up same again.

then zero the rifle at 35 yards of a bipod. if it shoots ok then try this.

same as above but remove the moderator, if all ok, repeat the test with the rifle from his normal shooting position from the jeep wing mirror,( this will illiminate a mod problem )

if the problem is persistent then place the rifle on the ground with the bipod fitted, take a 1! wide strip of paper with one side rubbed with a coloured chalk, run it chalk side down the full length of the barrel/ stock, place it between the barrel and stock and the chalk will leave marks where the rifle barrel it touching, if its clear, do the same with someone behind the rifle as if shooting it from the bipod.( make sure the rifle is clear of any ammo etc.)

if its touching then sand the spot indicated with the chalk mark until it clears then seal the area ready for use.

i had a 17 hmr that would throw 1 round per mag just about anywhere up down left or right about 2" away. and the other 4 seemed to be ok, it lead to a re-crown, but thats the extreme case of a dink-ed crown, lets hope thats not the case here.

yours sound like a barrel harmonics error/problem. so i hope the suggestion above helps.

best of luck

bob.

my HMR was sensitive to how you held it. A bipod would change POI 3-4" at 100 yards depending whether you shot free recoil, tight grip, or pushed into the bipod. It was a synthetic stock savage. If I took the bipod off and shot on bags it didn't matter so much and if I used a single long bag it was a one holer.

Check consistency of grip.

Thanks,

Rick

I have not checked the rifle myself but he says the barrel is clear. It does have a moddy of some sort but I think it was factory threaded. Shots are from cold barrell so no moving when warm.

To me it sounds like, a, barrel touching stock, or b, moddy issue, or c scope or mount issue. Just wondered if any of you CZ lads have come accross this problem.

A

When i first had my CZ .17hmr the right hand of the stock was touching the barrel, so a few minutes with some sand paper, and the barrel is now free floating.

• 3 weeks later...

My mate has a 14" annie (the mistake ones). Zero it one week the next it would be off enough to miss a rabbit at 50yds. Turned out that removing and fitting the mod was the problem. I'd have taken it back, but it's not my rifle.

I've just relieved the stock on my cz again to make sure it's not catching to.

Neil

He's a pretty Ok shot, I have seen him slot foxes a fair way out with his Sako 243. He will have zeroed on bipod and shot off the mirror without it yes, dont we all but to me doing that and having this issue implies contact with the barrel.

I have now talked him into joining here so with a bit of luck he may comment soon himself.

A

Archived