.308 long range question

Hi guys

got myself a .308 for long range vermin plinkin & its going to wear a Leupold vx3 6.5-20x50 30mm scope!

anyone any idea how far this will let me go out to before i need some sort of trick bases to extend my range!??

cheers Andy

hi andy,

you dont say weather you have any mounting system on it already but i went for a 20 moa ken farrell rail from the start as i had to buy some thing to fit on my rifle any way so for a few pounds extra got all the help to go longer range from the start. no need to buy twice if you can help it .

graham.

Hi Andy, both my 308's are supporting nightforce but as they are tikkas i use optilock rings and bases, the M55 which is loaded up to shoot at 1000 yards i milled of about 25 thou from the front base giving me about 25 MOA which is all it needs'

however the M65A is still straight with no incline on the mounts and will still get me to 900,(which is all it'll shoot to supersonic with the 168 grain bullets)

Your 308 loopy combo will get you too 800, but as Graham said if you going to pay the money may as well spend it once and get a 20 MOA rail!

Shrek

Hi guys

got myself a .308 for long range vermin plinkin & its going to wear a Leupold vx3 6.5-20x50 30mm scope!

anyone any idea how far this will let me go out to before i need some sort of trick bases to extend my range!??

cheers Andy

Well Well Well - whos in the 7.62 club!!! :):lol:

Listen to the boys - treat yourself to a 20 MOA base!!! :D

Look forward to you coming down again buddy!!! :D:lol:

All the best................

RAY.................................. :D;)

Guest varmartin

It has been said before.......so follow there advise if you can....and get a 20 MOA.

Your loop will get you near all the way to 1000 with the right load ( Approx 38 MOA required ), but why push your optics to the end of there adjustment.

Its much better to be looking through the lenses nearer there optical center for best clarity and repeatability....

Well Well Well - whos in the 7.62 club!!! :D;)

Listen to the boys - treat yourself to a 20 MOA base!!! :D

Look forward to you coming down again buddy!!! :D;)

All the best................

RAY.................................. :D;)

hi ray

Hmmmm parker hale m84:-)

where did you source your bases from ray?

looking forward to getting down again once ive got the gear sorted:-)

i see burris do rings that you can use spacers in would this be worth a go?

cheers for all you input lads

Andy

Hi Andy, both my 308's are supporting nightforce but as they are tikkas i use optilock rings and bases, the M55 which is loaded up to shoot at 1000 yards i milled of about 25 thou from the front base giving me about 25 MOA which is all it needs'

however the M65A is still straight with no incline on the mounts and will still get me to 900,(which is all it'll shoot to supersonic with the 168 grain bullets)

Your 308 loopy combo will get you too 800, but as Graham said if you going to pay the money may as well spend it once and get a 20 MOA rail!

Shrek

this seems like a cheap way of sorting it?:-)

Andy

I can only be done with the optilocks as they have the radiused plastic bushs which will keep the scope in line and not cause any stress from miss aligned rings mind!

Works well tho!!!

If you could find bases which would somhow, or in somway be machined to accept the optilock rings then its an easy way around sourcing a rail, however they you may have the problem with front and read based not being true??

I can only be done with the optilocks as they have the radiused plastic bushs which will keep the scope in line and not cause any stress from miss aligned rings mind!

Works well tho!!!

If you could find bases which would somhow, or in somway be machined to accept the optilock rings then its an easy way around sourcing a rail, however they you may have the problem with front and read based not being true??

Hi

I was looking at burris rings & they have plastic inserts like the optilock as far as i can see!

like this

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-zee-sig...aver-bases.html

cheers Andy

hi andy,

well they look like you can change the inserts and the 30mm rings have three for each provided from what i can make out ie +10 0 -10 so i assume you could fit -10 in the front ring and plus 10 in the rear and then you have 20 moa bases dont know about parker hale action but the one piece rail dose help stiffen up the action some .

graham.

Archived