FIRST BLOOD

Guest Sprags

Guest Sprags

Took a lad out last night to try and christen his newly aquired .17hmr, we had a total of 3 rabbits which pleased him to say the least. Then on making our way back to the motor I spotted Charlie, He came into the squeak perfectly, my mate got into position with the rifle. I told my mate that he was only to shoot if the fox was at a very close range.

Close range it was....... he came all the way in to about 12yds, the .17grn V-max hit the spot and down it went....

Charlie17Medium.jpg

I have a .17hmr but very rarely use it to be honest, but after last night I may be using it a bit more. What a cracking little calibre.

Now before anyone jumps on my case for shooting a fox with the hmr, I know it's not a dedicated fox calibre but at close range it certainly does the biz!!

Regards,Sprags

Guest Sprags
What did i tell ya!!!!

Nice going there mate,,,,

Also it was nice to meet the other day!!!!

Take care,, Darrel :lol:

Thanks Darrel,

Yes, you were quite right mate! :lol:

And it was great to meet you and Jay too!

Regards

Gray

Nice going Sprags , its great when you can share you experience with someone else,

Had the lad seen foxes called in that close before? :lol:

Good Job all the best Andy :lol:

Guest Sprags
Nice going Sprags , its great when you can share you experience with someone else,

Had the lad seen foxes called in that close before? :lol:

Good Job all the best Andy :lol:

Thanks Nemasis.

He had seen me call em' in before but never that close and not come in that quick either, the fox was originally approx 275 maybe 300 yds, I started to squeak and it came straight in, no stopping, to about 12yds.

We also shot this......... :D

RabbitFoxMedium.jpg

Regards,Sprags

Guest Sprags
Congrats to the lad and a job well done geting charlie into range

Thanks Foxshot, but not all of em' come in that close. Would be nice if they did though....

Guest martin

Good on you Sprags mate for helping someone get going,and,showing them the ropes.It's great when it all comes together as well when you want it to................martin.

Sprags by the photo you have shot a Very Very Rare long tail Rabbit or its Latin Name - Foxus Tailus Onda Bunnyus :D

A very rare species indeed , :lol::lol::lol:

Nice Job ;)

Guest Sprags
Good on you Sprags mate for helping someone get going,and,showing them the ropes.It's great when it all comes together as well when you want it to................martin.

Thanks Martin, this all started from him requesting a night out to try lamping, one trip out and he's hooked. I helped him with his FAC application and he succeeded in getting a .17hmr and a .243 on 21 acres. What I like about his attitude towards the whole firearms thing is that everything is safety first (as it should be), he wants to learn to walk before he tries to run if you get what I mean..........

Guest Sprags
A great start for him with a new rifle. After that trip I bet he'll be wanting to come back for more :D

Nice one

Dave

Thanks Dave, he certainly is hooked now.............. :lol:

Guest Sprags
Sprags by the photo you have shot a Very Very Rare long tail Rabbit or its Latin Name - Foxus Tailus Onda Bunnyus :D

A very rare species indeed , :lol::lol::lol:

Nice Job ;)

;):lol:

Guest Sprags
You lads make my ribs ache :D:lol:

When you are ready to start reloading!! just give us a shout,,,

All the best,, Darrel

Thanks for that Darrel,

I appreciate that and will be in touch when I'm ready to start reloading.

Gray

Good on you for taking a newbie out. That's the most kind offer anyone could ever give in my view. You've got a new guy into the sport and he's learning to be a good and safe shot from someone who has more experience. What better way is there to get into the world of shooting? Really, top marks. I remember my first outing with a rifle under the supervision of a guy I met on a forum. It's a day I'll never forget and has got me off to a great start.

Nice shooting too. The HMR certainly isn't the best Fox round but at that sort of range you can't fail. With a responsible shot it's done the job nicely, and the lad has learned a little more. One day he'll be as good as you and can pass his knowledge on to the next generation. If we all did our bit, maybe even just with one local young lad (or late starting adult even) with the right attitude, we could get a lot more shooters into the sport. People that may have given up due to all the hoop jumping if it wasn't for the help of others.

I still have a lot of respect for my old mentor. I have a lot to thank him for :D

Archived