Mates 2nd fox

foxhunter

Me and Ratcherman had a look out on the golf course again last night .There was a half moon and it was a bit still and bright but as long as youre out there it doesnt matter. I took my rifle as he still hasnt had a chance to get his zeroed.

After leaving the motor I lamped a fox immediately, Ratcherman got down on the bipod and launched a 58 gr v-max accurately between its eyes , a very humane shot . :clapper:

Another dog fox taken care of !! :lol:

He cant wait til his rifle is set up :D

garys2ndfox001.jpg

Accurately placed shot ..............

garys2ndfox002.jpg

He's on a roll now, once he has his rifle there will be no stopping him.

A good result and as you say pretty humane bullet placement.

You seem to have had similar weather conditions to us last night. A lot of people say still moonlit nights are a waste of time but to be honest I have shot a lot of foxes in these conditions.

Cheers

Dave

On the golf course eh! A new meaning to "A HOLE IN ONE" :D:lol::lol:- right through the napper :o

I would have thought that the 58grner would have done more damage to the skull :lol:

I was out for a walk last night and did one from 110yrds using the same bullet and it had a lot different effect

28022008070.jpg

I have found it to be one of the best heads I have ever tried in any 243 for fox shooting , I have never had one walk away from it.

Great going there Mark , get your mate to sort his rifle out and get his first with that posted one here :D

All the best Andy

Had a very good night last night also, havnt been out in a week or so. Last time i was out i spotted a pair of eyes around some sheep but didnt have a shot. I went back there twice after that and roughly the same time every night caught a pair of eyes.

Last night i decided to go down earlier walked to top of field which gave me a good view of the field. It was a still enough night and a half moon, fairly bright.

As i waited i caught a pair of eyes about 200 yards off. I was byself so i didnt want to take the shot that far off. Handheld 170! gotta get myself a scope mounted.

Now back to fox, i waited for 5 min and scanned field again, the sheep had moved to the far left corner, and mr fox was half way up field, about 120 yards. got myself set up and flicked lamp on.fox sat up like a dog and done a little rollover trick for me as the 55g v-max hit.A fairly young vixen.

Well i was happy with one, but i was only out for about 40 minutes at this stage so i drove to another spot where i had seen a pair last week.

parked up, walked to centre of field which gave me a view of 3/4 fields around. Surely i could be this lucky, 1 fox about 50 yards on my left. started trotting straight away so didnt waist time, best impression of a cat stopped her long enough for a shot. pulled it slightly put heard the twack, fox rolled for a couple of seconds but didnt move. A nice size vixen again.

what a mess, hit her in the belly. anyway thats 2.

Made it back to van and packed number 2 into the tray.

Now i decided id drive down to guy who collects tails and drop them off.

Of course on the way i stopped to check out a bit of land iv been told to keep an eye on.

With only 1 Hornady vmax left i loaded the 55 remington accutips. they shoot the same poa as the hornadys.

Now it was just startin to rain heavy so didnt want to stay out any longer....

Scanned the field and there was another fox right under my feet. about 15 yards away,,well i nearly that which promotes growth and vigour myself with excitment and the fox for another reason!! let a call and stopped him at 80 yards. sent the accutip on its way, heard that fimiliar sound "twack" but foxs is still trootin along like nothins happened?

I was sure i hit him. walked down field,there was a little ball of hair and hole in the ground. no fox :lol:. i walked the direction it went towards a hedge and no sign, covered about 50 yards around where it was and still nothing.. :D

so i went and droped the foxs off and went home for a nice warm cuppa, a good night but the last fow was still bugging me, so much so i got up this morn and went down before work. found where i shot from, where i shot him and started looking, i found the fox. 100 yards form where i hit him. now ther shot was a perfect shot behind the shoulders, mid body. a small entry and a small exit the far side.

How could he run and why didnt he "explode" the same as the vmax. i was told the accutips were the same as the vmax ? i think im goin back to the hornady.

dont like the idea of runners with holes in them!

ill get some photos up after,.

Hi K_d had a mate shooting remmy accutip in 22-250 he was drilling a few himself using factory ammo

We did some reloading using the same weight head but in Vmax and hasnt had any probs since, but we didnt run them as hot as the factory though.

Glad you had some fun though cheers Andy :lol:

Archived