Mates 1st fox

foxhunter

After speaking to Ratcherman recently he told me he had just bought his new .243 and would appreciate going lamping with someone who had a bit of experience lamping foxes and using centrefires.

I told him no problem and after phoning him yesterday we agreed to have a look out last night , unfortunately he hadnt had a chance to zero his rifle yet so I said I would just take my rifle and he could shoot that .

We discussed safety etc and he was fully aware and appreciated that safety is always paramount.

We called to a golf course where Ratcherman has the permission to shoot. I started the proceedings with a vixen that stood for a58 grn v-max at 150 yds , poleaxing it through the neck.

golf001.jpg

When the battery started to die we headed back to the motor and swapped it , then we set off in search of one for Ratcherman . I decided to try the spot where I shot the vixen thinking the dog will not be far away.

Flicking the lamp on in the next field I spied the orange eyes and told Ratcherman to get ready , I tried to call the fox in closer but it wouldnt come instead it was content just trotting along . I hollered it to stop and told Ratcherman " Take it now "

Thwack , the bullet struck and there was charlie lying on the ground . Well Ratcherman was overjoyed but this was shortlived as when we went to retrieve the fox it had vanished :D

There was a bramble patch nearby and I reckoned it was a gut shot and it had dragged itself into this cover. On inspection of these brambles I was proved correct as this is where we found the dog fox which was gut shot.

Congratulation to Ratcherman on his 1st fox with the .243 especially as he shot it at about 170 yds.

I was very pleased for him , the smile on his face said it all :clapper:

Just need to get your rifle sorted now and knock some over with that ;)

A very enjoyable night with a bit of success :lol:

golf002.jpg

Always good to get off to a good start like that, I bet he was well chuffed.

A good result for an outing, was the vixen barren?

It was good to listen to you and Andy rabbiting away yesterday.

We got some cracking footage hopefully he'll put some on here when he works it out.

Steven Speilberg has been busy all day on it :lol:;)

Cheers

Dave

Well done Ratcherman, 170yds is a good distance mate, and well done to Foxhunter for taking the time to take someone out and get them their first charlie!

Regards,Sprags!!

Archived