Introducing Deer onto your land???

I am asking this because several questions in the DSC 1 question bank deal with this general topic and (I wish this was the only example) the manual does not provide the answers.

If a landowner wishes to introduce Deer onto his land is it legal for him to do so?

In the various parts of the UK does he need to get permission from anyone (Natural England, DEFRA, Deer Commission for Scotland etc etc????)

Does it matter what species they are (Sika, Muntjac and CWD not being 'native' species) ??

Please advise - I know someone out there knows the answer. Perhaps a DSC instructor?

Badsworth

Thanks JC275 - my manual is Feb 2008, but I shouldn't think it has changed.

The Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order 1997? I hadn't thought of that one. I wonder if that is what they are after?

Thanks for your help.

B

You may release deer on your land. as long as it is not Muntjac or Sika (or CWD?). the problem is getting them to stay there! I know of a chap who released a stag and some hinds in his woods.... they promptly cleared off. I know of a chap who released some sika on brownsea island, they also cleared off. I wonder if you made an enclosure and put your fallow or reds (herding deer) in it and kept them there for a year and fed them and placed salt licks in there if the would stay in the area. This might work if the fallow buck made a rutting stand in there.

i would be interested to hear of any success stories.

but i am sure for dsc purposes the answer is yes but muntjac only in the 5 counties (which i can remember none of)

swampy

Archived