A mornings stalk

I had chance of a few hours this morning before I needed to go to work, so I was at my mate’s for 5:45am, the weather wasn’t the best a light drizzle, and a good westerly breeze.

We were hoping to catch up with some Fallow that we saw the other day.

On the way to the high seat I could see 3 Fallow in the field on the outside of the wood, so hopefully they would make their way back into the wood, I was in the high seat by 6:45, so it was a case of sit and wait and glass the wood for any movement, this wood has Fallow/Roe & Muntjac.

After an hour a movement caught my attention in front of me ( I had already pinged some likely spots with my range finder) 92 yards away there was a Muntjac Doe, slowly moving through the trees, so I got ready with the rifle and waited for a shot, she was broadside so I placed the cross-hairs on her chest and waited for her stop, she did and I squeezed the trigger without a second thought. She dropped on the spot, I reloaded and waited, maybe my shot would make something else move in the wood, but after 10 minutes nothing. I glassed where she had dropped, and she was dead, so I waited.

Then another quick movement caught my eye, it was a Muntjac Buck, and it was heading for where the Doe was lying, I was hoping it would stop in a small clearing, so I got ready with the rifle, but it wasn’t playing ball.

It ran off down into the wood, so I tracked it, hoping it would stop, but it disappeared, so I settled down again, then spotted my mate making his way through the wood, and the Muntjac came from in between us and making it’s way to my left away from my mate, so I kept on it, waiting for it to stop.

Then another movement caught my eye to my immediate left, a Roe Doe had got up and was running off, but she stopped just to check what my mate was doing, my cross-hairs were on it’s chest in a flash and she dropped on the spot.

25-2-09028.jpg

A cracking morning out and now it’s off to WORK!!!!!!!!!

Archived