Got my Hornet cut today

I got my Hornet cut down today. What a great job! The gun feels much better and the quality of workmanship is excellent. Can't wait to get it out and shoot it again now! I got it done by a guy named Mike Norris. Not sure if he's a name anyone recognises but he seemed to know his stuff! He even machined me a stainless thread protector and let me look at the barrel with a posh bore scope thingy. All in all an interesting day. I had no idea that the job was so long winded. I just thought it would be sawed down, threaded and re-crowned! Now I know better. He spent ages messing about with it, but looking at the result now it's one of the best screw cuts I've ever seen. I'm very pleased with it.

Mike does some great work, and those that have had rifles built by Brock and Norris, or experienced their customer service have nothing but praise.

But just wait for your post to rekindle the proof / not proofed discussions! Enjoy the rifle it's a calibre that has always intrigued me.

Maltbuck

I took it down to 18" from 22". Not a lot off but the rifle certainly feels a lot different now, much more like my 452 HMR which is 16" and ideal for what I do.

18" was the shortest Mike suggested I go. Looking at the setup he had going there I fugured he knew more about cutting barrels than I ever will so I took his word for it. He also gave me a severe bollocking for using a SAK on it, so point taken I'm going to put something else on it when I can find something I like. I want an over barrel mod that's smaller than a T4, but that's something for another topic.

As for proof, with the end cap or mod screwed on the barrel isn't any thinner. I don't see the issue!

njc ,

from what i can make out you are perfectly ok until you wish to dispose of or sell the gun then the barrel will have to be proofed again before you sell it as you have now modified the barrel as the law is defines it so whilst you may be happy and perfectly safe to use if you wish to sell it you would be breaking the law as the barrel would be out of proof this is why most but not all gun dealers like to submit the gun and moderator together for proof if you have to have it threaded. ie they cover there backsides and yours.

the very grey area is where you get factory threaded barrels and you want to buy just the moderator as the factory thread will be proof stamped the best answer there is to ring the importers or makers and ask them who in your area will supply the mod as a straight purchase they will know and i have brought three just by doing that.

you could do worst than trying andy banner at wildcat moderators as he makes them to caliber and his place is like an alladins cave with moddy bits

yours graham.

I know Andy. I've bought a couple of rifles and a mod from him. I would have got him to do the screwcut if I could get hold of him. From what I can make of it he's so busy at the moment he can hardly keep up with the work he has!

I want to find out if I can use one of his little over barrel mods on my Hornet. I don't remember the name but it's a rimmy mod that adds around 2" to the length of the gun. Perfect if it's suitable!

njc,

If you are looking for a mod smaller than the T4, take a look at the T4AR which is, I believe, made for the AR series of rifles in 223 Rem and is smaller than the standard T4. I have a T4AR on my CZ527 in 223 and have found it most satisfactory. Standard T4 is 9" and the T4AR is 7" in length, diameters are the same at 2".

Peter

Archived