sam f

my shooting bud had the ruger .204 when it first came out now has the sako 85 s/s .204 homeloads, and is very very accurate,

foxes are not a problem and crows at long range are fun too,

however if buying factory ammo then yes it is a little expensive, but prices should get a little cheaper as the popularity of the calibre grows. moderated i cannot say as he doesn't have it moderated...

but for foxes and crows you could have lots of fun to say the least........ it's a dream to shoot to and you can see the impact which is always nice...... :rolleyes:

As snpa shot has said they are good tools :lol: ,I use use one very often and I would say there are not many foxes gonna get away under 300yrds, this is with home loads with a 39grn head , but factory will be expensive and not as accurate.

I have also in the past had a 222 and if they were both on the table, the 222 would get used much I am affaid :rolleyes:

Its not that loud , DAVE(6mmBR) has a 20TAc which is along the same lines ,and we shooting one night along side a 17hmr and you couldnt tell the difference to be honest

I use a 204 for fox shooting, plus occasional use on long range rabbit`s and crows.

At the moment i am using homeload`s with 39gr sierra`s and it really knocks the foxes down. Before that i used to use factory ammo with 40gr V-max, but it wasn`t quite as accurate. Mind you i did shoot rabbits out to 345yds with factory ammo.

As far as moderating goes, i agree with Nemesis that it doesn`t sound any louder than a 17HMR. ;)

The 204 will shoot the same weight bullet flatter and with less wind drift than a 222/223, only down side is a limited range of bullets but the 39 gr Sierra seems to produce best results accuracy wise than the 40 gr VMAX in most rifles at present. Reload with the 32 grain VMAXand you will have a real flyer.

Its a no brainer IMHO.

A

theres more bullets than you think for the .204 have a look on http://www.204ruger.com/204_ammo.php get the 204 over the 222 or 223 i did and love it

Archived