NECK SIZING

nell

Hi guy's i have just neck sized some cases for the first time.

Cases where fired as factory loads (federal) full length sized and fired again.

After neck sizing im finding them very slightly tight when putting the bolt down.

How many fireings does it take to properly fire form a case???

Thanks in advance

NELL

The cases should pretty well form first shot especially of it is a factory chamber rather than an Ackley. Sounds to me like the shoulders on the cases need easing back a shade, maybe a 1/16 of a turn down on the full length die.

I use the Redding 3 die set, this consists of a seater, neck die and a shoulder only die, I will use the shoulder die maybe every second or third loading. The neck die will only resize about half the neck length and not touch the shoulder.

A

The cases should pretty well form first shot especially of it is a factory chamber rather than an Ackley. Sounds to me like the shoulders on the cases need easing back a shade, maybe a 1/16 of a turn down on the full length die.

I use the Redding 3 die set, this consists of a seater, neck die and a shoulder only die, I will use the shoulder die maybe every second or third loading. The neck die will only resize about half the neck length and not touch the shoulder.

A

I would hazard a guess that you shoot a .243, and in a factory chambering they grow a little every shot, full length size every time to avoid sticking a round, or go Ackley Improved which usually only means neck sizing after firing.

No matter which calibre, if the cases are sticking at all, full length size every time to avoid one stuck up the pipe. More than a few .243 users will own up to this I'm sure ;) .

Pete.

Thanks guy's maybe should have mentioned the rifle is in 22/250. cases are not desparately tight i can just feel a very slight resistance when putting the bolt down, so thought i would ask the question. Will try the suggested die adjustment and see how i fair...

Thanks again

NELL

Archived