300wsm

moses

Right then, I have to send my ticket in for a couple of amendments and I feel the need for a 1for1 coming on

I fancy a 300WSM so my questions are;

What grn bullets suit it best 165, 180, 200.......

What twist rate?

What donor action could I use if I don't want to go full custom?

Is barrel life an issue?

Anyone got one cleared for Fox?

Any other info appreciated.

ATB

Moses

I can only tell of the experiance I had with a 300WSM, it was a Tikka with a sporter barrel on it , it was shooting 165grn interbonds and it kicked like a bloody mule :wacko:

If it in a heavier wieght gun it would have been alot better,

I shot a fox at 150yrds and it did a great deal of internal destruction, inside it was just a bag of water , but the bullet exited without doing to much damage .

If anyone was to ask if I would like one , I think I would decline and go down another route, but thats my opinion.

Hope you have some luck with your quest :wacko:

cheers Nem

Right then, I have to send my ticket in for a couple of amendments and I feel the need for a 1for1 coming on

I fancy a 300WSM so my questions are;

What grn bullets suit it best 165, 180, 200.......

What twist rate?

What donor action could I use if I don't want to go full custom?

Is barrel life an issue?

Anyone got one cleared for Fox?

Any other info appreciated.

ATB

Moses

I have one on a Howa action, sendaro profile fluted barrel in A2 Mcstock, prints around 3" @ 500 yards. It is a bit kicky but not that bad, it depends what you want it for.

Twist rate, 1-10, using 155-180 (165 might be a good choice)

Barrel life isnt an issue.

I wouldnt bank on getting it cleared for Foxing though. :D

Firstly I think you need to think about its intended purpose and go from there. I took mine to New Zealand last year, it weighed 12lb and I carried it up and down mountains for 2 weeks...yes im special! ;)

But having said that I couldnt have taken the feral goats out to 500-600 yards without the heavier barrel.

"But having said that I couldnt have taken the feral goats out to 500-600 yards without the heavier barrel."

Yes you could, heavy barrel's come into there own when rapid fire or long shot strings are in order, for stalking rifles fireing few and far between shots allowing time to cool, lighter profile barrels can/will kill goat size targets out to and beyond 600 yards. It's when things get lively and more shots are fired you NEED a more meaty barrel to cope with the effects of "heating up"

Long range.....7mm BC wins hands down.

I have one on a Howa action, sendaro profile fluted barrel in A2 Mcstock, prints around 3" @ 500 yards. It is a bit kicky but not that bad, it depends what you want it for.

Twist rate, 1-10, using 155-180 (165 might be a good choice)

Barrel life isnt an issue.

I wouldnt bank on getting it cleared for Foxing though. :D

Firstly I think you need to think about its intended purpose and go from there. I took mine to New Zealand last year, it weighed 12lb and I carried it up and down mountains for 2 weeks...yes im special! ;)

But having said that I couldnt have taken the feral goats out to 500-600 yards without the heavier barrel.

Should of taken the 6.5-284 then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

All the best buddy,

RAY............................... :D :D

"But having said that I couldnt have taken the feral goats out to 500-600 yards without the heavier barrel."

Yes you could, heavy barrel's come into there own when rapid fire or long shot strings are in order, for stalking rifles fireing few and far between shots allowing time to cool, lighter profile barrels can/will kill goat size targets out to and beyond 600 yards. It's when things get lively and more shots are fired you NEED a more meaty barrel to cope with the effects of "heating up"

Long range.....7mm BC wins hands down.

This is true but the heavier barrel pays dividends over the sporter weight for the sake of a few pounds. Not only that the heavier barrel is much more consistant shot after shot, again if I had the sporter weight barrel which was on the rifle before I put the sendero profiled barrel on, it wouldnt have managed the task I needed it for. ;)

Ah this is true Ray, I did consider it for sure... ;)

The main thing is you had a great time buddy!!!! ;)

All the best...............

RAY................................. ;) ;)

Archived