nightforce NP-R2 reticule

after using a np-2dd which i'd set my heart on. i've been told that a np-r2 may suit my needs better, and that if zero'd at 200, the first three holdover point will correspond to 300, 400, and 500 yards. no need to tweak the turrets.

talking about .243 55 or 70 ballistic tip in particular, which i have checked with a ballistics calculator, and it seems to be within an inch or so at each range.

does anyone use this setup, and is it correct regarding the holdover points.

The reticule is in the second focal plane, this means it remains the same size when you zoom up the mag. The bars on the reticule are at 2 moa intervals but only at one magnification setting, this varies depending on the scope model but it is a fair way up the scale, something like 32x on the 42x and I think 22x on the others. This will limit what you see through the scope when you pull the trigger and make target aquisition more difficult. By adjusting the mag you shoot at you could get some of the bars on NPR2 on though.

There are some good threads on this at Snipers Hide and sniper centeral.

https://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20628

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...d=19&page=1

A friend has a 12x42 NSX mill dot on a 243 firing like you 55gr bullets. Its pretty flat (3800-3900 ) so he just never in practise actually uses the dots or dials range or drift. Only recently did I manage to persaude him to try a paper target at 400 yards. Surprised with his results he recently nailed charlie at well over 300.

A

I use the np r1 reticule on my 223. I have a range card with the ranges each mark corresponds to. Could not be simpler and works very well. If you are worried about the field of veiw at high mag get the 15x model. :)

Archived