Left and Right

nemasis243

If you were to ask me what night I would have chosen to go lamping,last night would have been top of the list.

Set off quite early as my buddy didnt want to be out to late, we arrived at out first port of call after about an half hour drive, the stars were shinning , no wind and clear as a bell , it was one of those nights that the beam of the lamp seemed to cut into the darkness for miles.

Anyway got down to a spot which is a little hard to work , you have a good vantage point to shoot from but foxes can only appoach from two angle unless they cross a river and a road.

Started to call and after a while a couple of pairs of eyes appeared in the distance, there were 2 foxes comming from different possitions,

To get to us they both had to come through the same choke point, so if you can imagine a Y ( two paths leading into one), where the intersection of the 2 paths where was about 280yrds away , and on a night like this was well in range,

Both foxes were comming slowely and arrived at the choke point at the same time, this was not good, Looking through the scope ,they both were standing toe to toe, which I thought was a vixon and a dog, untill they started fighting and fight they did,

After a little while they both fled off , leaving me with an unusual sight but without anything in the bag :(

We moved onto another spot , where we have some carcasses out on a big moor, the moor has loads of fern and has patches of clear areas in it so you can get lucky,

I started to call ,as I moved the lamp round eye after eye lit up , 5 charlies were dotted about , but nothing under 350 yrds , I called and called ,trying all the tricks I knew, then put the Vixon call on , but all the foxes did was move back and fro the ferns at long distance, nothing was in clear site, it was a case of now you see me ,now you dont, but is was great to know that they were about for another time.

The next area we went to , we had a small bait down on top of a muck pile, and charlie was laying on top having his fill, We were well elevated and had a safe shot down onto him,

The bullet screamed into him with an almighty thump and the fox flipped up , when I had a closer look the bullet had gone through the skull, and fragments had gone down the spine tearing alot of the fur and flesh along the back, it wasnt pretty :blush:

We moved on again after a good call and arrived to find a few more foxes in one area , again tried all the tricks but the foxes wouldnt play ball , the area has peat bogs and its not a place you want to start walking in at night , as I have found out in the past, as for one night ,from putiing one foot infront of the other ,lead me from solid ground to up to the thighs, that was an eye opener believe me :o

Our final destination was a field that lay at the bottom of a huge hill, and gives a good vantage point for scanning, as the lamp crossed the face of the hill ,two sets of eyes appeared , but were a little obscure through the scope,

The two foxes were laying up in some rocks and you could just see them ,but not enough to take a clear shot, I started to call and there was big movement from the 2 which were about 250yrds away , then they started chasing one another , it was so odd as they hadnt bothered with each other up till then.

They both circled round and where about 180yrds away when they both stopped withing feet of one another , the first shot struck the left fox clean and down it went, the scecond one ran to its right and then turned and come back just above and to the right of where the first one lay, smack ,down that one went as well.

When we got up to them, it was a dog and vixon , so was well chuffed with that, then it was time to call it a day ,we had spotted 15 charlies in total and to come away with just 3 was a little poor :(

I think you could have been out all night and wouldnt have had many more ,unless you went to a very good bait and just sat there,

andy.jpg

IF any one can turn the picture the right way up that would be great , cheers Andy

Looks like a good night out, I'm entrenched near Bisley ready to shoot F class with Dasherman tomorrow.

A beautiful place but no deer showed in her garden.

Lucky the place has a free internet connection.

Speak to you soon

Dave

The art of fox shooting Mark is try not to kill your breeding stock . EH!!! OOPS!!!! :):mad:

PM sent cheers Andy

You do seem to have an insane amount of charlie near u Andy:-O

how many for 09 is it so far?

Im on 3:-) had my first trip out for the year on friday:-)

forgot wht a fox looked like for a bit over crimbo!lol

Andy

Archived