A MORNINGS WALK

nemasis243

Well it was an early start this morning and a 20mile drive to have a look at a few baits , they have been attracting foxes and the charlies have been feeding well and we have shot quite a few from the.

A phone call from the farmer yesterday prompted a morning visit as he saw a fox on the bait about 8 o'clock in the morning ,anyway arrived at the farm and got to good vantage point which was well down wind approximately 180 yrds off the bait. I had a quick scan but there was nothing ,but it was just comming upto 7.30 so there was plenty of time for charlie to come for Breakfast. :lol:

As I looked at the carass in the increaseing light loads of crows and magpies decended onto it , there must have been over 100 all trying to get a feed,

Anyway rather than just sit in the truck I decided to have a mooch about round the other fields , its great that time of the morning and today the sun was beaming so it made it even better.

I scanned the surounding land and across on the ajoining farm I spotted a fox trotting down the field , there was no use trying to call him as there was a river between us so he would have crossed it with the amount of water that was going down it and I didnt have permission to shoot on that land so I will hve to try and catch up to him again .

So anyway I wandered back up to the bait and most of the crows and magpies had flown off and there was the odd one scattered around the field, I got the Swaro's out and a scan the bait was clear (or so I thought) :( and here was charlie sniffing his way across the top of the headland, I got set up and he moved across and suddenly looked at the bait and he froze, what the hell is he looking at , I thought , I scanned the carass again and there was nothing on it, so I decided to dispatch the fox there and then ,

I sqeezed a round off form the 243 and the 58grn Vmax , dropped him on the spot with the sound of a big thud comming back towards me, As the bullet hit him the water that was on his coat seemed to spray off in all directions as the bullet stuck , he was just over 200yrds away from my position and was quartering facing me , as I was elevated from him the bullet went in the front shoulder and blew most of his insides out as it exited.

Before I moved from my position I scannned again with Bino's and there was nothing but the bait in the field.

So I got down into the field and walked up the hedgeline and started to approach the fox , then out the corner of my eye I noticed movement ,

I froze and turned my head slightly to see a fox backing away from the carcass,he had been up inside the ribs and I couldnt see him, he had spotted me and decided to make a move back towards the woodland that lay a couple of hundred yards away.

I flicked the X sticks open and rested the rifle on them , I called but to no avail he dissapeared over the bank into the wood.

I called for about 10mins but nothing showed apart from the farmer on his quad who was doing the morning rounds.

I waved him over and we both went and had a look at the fox I had just shot , it was a dog ,not the biggest I have seen but in very very good nick.

I was pleased to take that one off as the farmer is starting to lamb in a few weeks , so I have a bit more work to do ,catching up with the one that got away.

18012009390.jpg

Bloody hell Andy..........just one????? No serious now,well done mate,and a good read too,keep at 'em mate,speak soon.............martin.

p.s. find that photo of the knife mate,and email me.

do foxes stick to a set run and time

Hi mate I have spent a fair bit of time trying to catch the odd Charlie and over there years I have tried all sorts of tricks to give me the advantage.

There have been many occassions where I have had foxes comming onto baits using the same runs and within minutes of the same time from the day before when I used the alarm clock trick to give me an indication of his habits.

I have been caught out on many occassions where you have a big bait down and you think there is 1 or 2 foxes feeding from it , I have approached baits at night and have found upto 6 foxes on them at the same time, then its time to fill the Mag up :blink:

I remember years ago I was asked to go to a small Pheasant shoot and the part time keeper just used a few wires and a shotgun to sort out his problem.

One of the guns asked me to have a look round there one night and reluctantly the keeper agreed , he had some shock when I took 14foxes off there the first night,

The farm where the shoot was situated had a huge dead pit two fields away from his pen ,he thought as the foxes would feed from the dead pit and not his Pheasants, after I started there they tripled the amount of birds they shot through the season, so it only goes to show they have a mixed diet.

The foxes had three main runs through the farm and all the foxes seemed to use them, I would just set up depending on the wind,where I had a vantage point for two of them and wait for the foxes to come down the runs in the summer evenings, the most I shot in one evening was 9 .

Believe it or not I took 120 foxes off that 220 acre farm in 12months,

cheers Andy

Nice one Captin!!!!!!!! ;)

I know the fox is one crafty chappie , but now they are hiding away in carcases!!!! :lol:

Speak to ya soon mate!!!!!! :D;)

All the best.................

RAY................................ :D;)

well done , at least you know you have another fox to go at which is nice to know :lol:

As to what time do your foxes come around ia it the same time of the day of say time time from dawn? Or to put another way if a fox is seen 2 hours atfer dark will it still be 2 hours after dark when the summer months come round?

Archived