My first lamping session for 2009

kip270

Tonight was the first chance we have had to get out lamping for 2009, the last time we went out was with the keeper (my brother in-law) on the back of the Landover,

on the Sunday before the new year and then I had the flu bug and was in bed for 3 days, and then back to work with a touch of tonsillitis!!!!! But now I’m much better so back out after them.

We spotted four when we went out with the keeper but trying to get the landy in the right spot for a shot before the foxes made off wasn’t easy as we haven’t made any seating arrangements on the landy yet, so holding on and trying to lamp and then for Dan to shoot was hard work. No shots were taken, much to the annoyance of all of us, but that’s shooting, and I would rather leave them for another day if the shot isn’t right.

So tonight the weather was looking good and we were on for a lamping session, I rung the farm to confirm that all was ok with us going up and arranged to be up there for 6:30-7pm. I have found that our success rate is higher if we are out after Foxes within the first hour or so after sunset.

Dan and I prefer to be on foot when lamping, as we just find it works for us, plus the exercise is a good upside too.

We were hoping to hear some foxes calling, but we haven’t heard any so far this year which is very strange, have they already mated, or are they still waiting???(I know some of you have seen good signs of them mating)

I was the shooter tonight, and we had the Foxpro with us too, hoping it would work it’s magic, I know it wont always work, but it’s got to be taken out and put to use.

We covered most of the farm without a single sign of a fox, and no smell of any either, and tonight was a good night for scent, we were very surprised and cheesed off at the same time, we really thought we would of bagged one by now.

Covering all the ground we could and seeing nothing was really disappointing, so we headed back, still searching for any signs of old foxy, it looked like tonight wasn’t going to be ours.

Scanning one of the first fields we had already covered we spotted one, but as soon as the lamp was on it, it was off, so a small lip squeak stopped it, I got down on the bi-pod and it was heading off again so another squeak and it stopped. It was a good 200 yards away, so I settled my cross-hairs and squeezed off my shot and MISSED!!!!!!!. I know we all do from time to time, but I was so cheesed off with myself. Some serious target time is called for………

The next field we spotted a rabbit, and Dan wanted one for his ferret, so he lined up on it and shot over the top, then I spotted another fox around 300 yards out, so out with the Foxpro, but it wasn’t having any of it, and the to top it off the lamp started to die on us, over two hours of scanning around and the battery had enough.

I was using my Clulite Blazer light as the Lightforce 240 really drains the battery, so maybe I’ll double up my big battery, as I really like using the Lightforce lamp.

Dan said that if I got a bigger battery or double up my big battery he won’t be the lamper?????

Hi Kip Really enjoyed your story!!!! ;)

Sorry to hear it did not go well , sometimes it goes like that!!!!!! :D

Hopefully a better session next time!!! ;)

All the best.................

RAY....................................... :D;)

a blank can do us all good it just makes us want to go again asap

anyone who says they dont miss just aint telling the truth

as for batteries i use 2x10amps on a harness lasts a long time with a lightforce 170

Doesn't someone on here use a 34amp battery? (madness :wacko: )

Gonna stick with my 20amp until whomever makes a (minimum) 20amp Lithium Ion battery then I'll be making a purchase.

Replacing the 100W bulb with a 75W would give you more time out with the obvious drawback of that much less light, perfectly fine for 200 yard shots all the same with the Blitz' reflector (or bin lid as I call it).

It is like a bin lid :wacko: But bloody good, and out of my three lamps i would rather carry a heavier battery and get a lot of use from the Blitz, found some golfing 12volt 22amp batteries for £31 each......sounds good to me

Good choice of battery, I use a 12V 24Amp/h golf battery with my 170. The longest I have been out and about with this set up is 4 hours and the light was still good. One good thing with these batteries is that you'll never be cold while carrying it around :wacko:

Archived