A really good day.

Alycidon

I have today had a really good day.

It started this morning, I was togged up and getting ready to go to our home pheasant shoot when I noticed a fox out of our bay window about 200 yards down the field. At the same time my brother turned up to feed the lambs and put hay in the racks for 150 lambs who' s feed troughs are out front of our bungalow.

I figured then when Charlie boy saw my brother he would leg it and he did, he only went about 40 yards or so when he was confronted by two magpies blocking his path. After considering for a while Charlie decided to retrace his steps and stopped by a livestock drinking trough where he decided to sit and watch sheep feeding proceedings.

Those of you that have been here the trough is the one close to the 200 yard range area I use. Now then what to do, it takes me 10 minutes to get a rifle out, at present I only have one centerfire, the last time I had that out was when I went stalking with it and it rained. Since then it has been out of the stock and cleaned but the zero has not been rechecked. I also saw this fox yesterday, it had a slight limp on its front right paw and mentioned it to Vermincinerator when I went to pick up some screws he had kindly given me, he reconed the zero would be pretty close.

Well I decided that the birds would wait a few minutes and went and got the PPC and a rangefinder out. I came down, opened the window and he had gone. A carefull scan showed him another 60 yards further down the field, I ranged him at just over 200 yards. I set up on a chair but could not get enough clearance to get a bullet over the privet hedge in the front of our garden. I attached my long bipod and extended it fully, I now have hedge clearance (just) and am holding the toe of the stock on the back of the reversed chair, Charlie is still there, a tad closer now, he had now come down the hill onto my range area. I adjusted the scope to 200 yards and aimed dead on, he would not give me a side on shot so I took a front on with his head down sniffing. No presssure either (NOT !!)as my brother was watching !!.

Crack, thwop and down he went clean as a whistle, 194 yards. My first fox for 18 months, I have been present when others have killed foxes at night but nothing showed when I am the trigger man. In that time I must have had over 50 hours out with a lamp, evenings in high seats, ambushes over cat food. In that time I have had just one fox show me a safe half head that I missed somehow.

Then pack the rifle away and on with the pheasants, some of you have been here and know the drives, as you might expect with these banks we saw some spectacular birds and some simply awsome shooting. That first artichoke drive we do behind the captains house hardy a bird got through the line unless it was let through as to low. Most were 30 yards plus up. We shot just over 140 at about three to one from 7 drives. The guys either side of me hit very little all day but three or four of us went really well and we were spread in the line not that the pegs are close enough to clear up behind next door.

All in all a good day, just got to move Charlie a bit closer so that I can nail a few Maggies and Crows over him.

A

I usually get my leg pulled over the radio if we see one on a shoot day, there was one in the last drive yesterday, he has been there a while, never see him when I have a rifle but have called it in on a run to the village take away. His time will come.

A

Hey Buddy ,

A cracking read!!!! :lol: :lol:

Well done on your ginger too!!!! :D:lol:

Did you manage to get any photos????

All the best..................

RAY............................ :D;)

No pics I am afraid, I was running late for the pheasant shoot as it was. Only moved him yesterday, had to find him in the snow first to a spot a bit nearer where I can slot a few crows etc having a meal on him.

Nothing much to see anyway, he was front on, head down sniffing and quite a bit below me, bullet went in the top of his neck and came out between his front legs, usual 6mm VMAX damage.

Need to nobble a few more now we have some frost and can get about a bit easier.

A

No pics I am afraid, I was running late for the pheasant shoot as it was. Only moved him yesterday, had to find him in the snow first to a spot a bit nearer where I can slot a few crows etc having a meal on him.

Nothing much to see anyway, he was front on, head down sniffing and quite a bit below me, bullet went in the top of his neck and came out between his front legs, usual 6mm VMAX damage.

Need to nobble a few more now we have some frost and can get about a bit easier.

A

The main thing is buddy , its good to hear you had a good time - seeming you have not been out for a while!!!!

As for one rifle ( 6PPC ) for vermin and Roe, she takes some beating!!! :lol: :lol:

All the best................

RAY

I do have a 20 in build but that seems to be for ever in coming. I had more or less given up on the lamp, just never see one let alone get a shot at one.

A

Hi mate ,

If things are that quiet where you are , how about a trip to Cornwall if you can find the time!!!!!!

Bring the PPC down with yourself for some varmint action!!!!!! :):(

You are always welcome..................

All the best.......................

RAY.............................................. :D;)

Hi mate ,

If things are that quiet where you are , how about a trip to Cornwall if you can find the time!!!!!!

Bring the PPC down with yourself for some varmint action!!!!!! :):(

You are always welcome..................

All the best.......................

RAY.............................................. :D;)

Thats a very generous offer, I may well take you up on it a bit later in the year once I have got the pheasants done and dusted and a few other things sorted workwise.

A

Thats a very generous offer, I may well take you up on it a bit later in the year once I have got the pheasants done and dusted and a few other things sorted workwise.

A

You are more than welcome anytime!!! :):(

Just let me know!!!!!!!!!!

All the best..............

RAY....................................... ;):D

Archived