It works!

Managed to get out stalking a few fallow with the .270 yesterday.

I was sitting up in the high seat at 6.30am, this seat is positioned on a firebreak in the wood with a ride to your right, one in front another slightly left and finally a ride far left so, there is a lot spotting to be done.

We didn't have much time as there was a shoot day on the estate that my mate was running and I was beating on so after not seeing anything but pheasants we called it a day at 8am hoping to try again later on.

The shoot day went well they shot just over the bag, with some good high birds and we were done and out with the rifle by 3.30.

We stalked into a 700 acre wood that my mate manages the deer on for Natural England. We had not made it far into there before we heard some deer moving around. The cover was way to thick for a shot so we stalked on around them. After reaching the top of a brow which gives you a good view down the bank into a clearing we spot about 15 Fallow led down, there is one beast facing away, head up that offers a nice neck shot, got the rifle over sticks and found my spot and sent a 130grn BT on its way. It was a good solid strike and the doe folded.

As the shot rang out the rest of the group ran around us to our right, we watched them as they ran and then stopped one fawn offered a shoulder shot, it was safe and I took it, again a good strike and it was a left and right for the .270. The fawn hadn't got far about 10yds maybe.

We dragged the beasts to the track and off we went to get the landrover. As we were walking back down the track I stopped to light a smoke when we heard something moving through the wood, we both stopped and peered through the bins. There was a lone doe on the track about 50 yds away and she was stood perfect but, there was no time for sticks, my mate said "use my shoulder" and with that I had the rifle on his shoulder and the doe in my sights. A good heart shot had her done for and I got to enjoy my smoke before we went to find her. She was lying about 20 yds from the strike. A good size heathly adult doe.

My first time out with my new old rifle and I have to say I love it!

DSC_0108.jpg

ATB

Moses

A very succesful outing. 3 in the bag is excellent going.

Is the pheasant shoot on the same land you stalk?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes the pheasant shoot is on the same ground.

Excellent result Moses and i'm real glad that new smoke pole works well too - i managed to get out for a couple of hours and shot a nice fallow pricket this morning.

Nice going Paul,

You can't beat a mornings stalking.

Archived