A quick trip out.

6mmBR

Had a phone call on my way home from work. It was my mate Simon, "Dave can you come and have a look, there's a sheep down and the foxes have started on it."

We met in the yard around 7.30 we jumped in my truck and off we went. We checked out the carcass, there was no fox on it but one had been there( a job for the night vision I think). Shinning the lamp behind us there was a fox up on the top of the bank, sky lined and not a safe shoot sadly.

We moved on a saw another fox but his was in a field of horses and with them milling around again no safe shot presented.

We moved back to the top bank to see if we could catch up with the first fox we saw. Shinning the lamp behind Rolands sheds, 3 fields away we saw a pair of eyes in the middle of the field. We decided to do the sh*t or bust tactic of walk in and try and get in range. Luckily the wind was in our favour and we got to the gate, I set the sticks up and waited. Simon flicked on the lamp and the fox was couched down in the middle of the field looking straight at us, only its head vissible.

We gave it a wee squeak and it raised and turned its head presenting more of a target, I squeezed the trigger of the .20TAC and the bullet struck home not the usual dull thud of a body hit but more of a crack as the 40 Vmax connected with its head. We went to fetch the fox back and I paced out 186 paces, the bullet hitting the vixen square in the head.

DSCF0907.jpg

Sadly as we walked back the rain started, so we called it a night. I will just have to get down with some NV to finnish the job.

Cheers

Dave

I use a mk4 kite mounted on an AR15 platform I use this to spot and shoot with. I tend to just park my truck around 100 yards from the bait and sit and wait to se what comes along.

Cheers

Dave

Well done Dave :D I do the sh*t or bust tactic a lot as most of the land here you can't drive on. It's most satisfying when they know you're there but want to chance it downwind to get a sniff of what's making that squeak, ka-boom!

Do you use any filters? I've just started giving the amber filter a go and my second night out was a great success with it.

I'm not at all jealous of the NV and rifle it's attached to...

I'm not...

:rolleyes::)

Hi John, to answer your question we don't use filters. I have tried them in the past but they cut down target clarity and definition. There use I found cut down the useful range of the lamp and there by negated any plus points by having to get closer to clearly define the target.

Cheers

Dave

Good shooting Dave. This rain has put pay to many a lamping trip, and we got caught out in it the other night, but still managed to get one.

That reminds me, i need to take a trip to Litts for some butler creek scope caps for my schmidt :o

Rain pissed on our parade last night again :o nothing showed up early when it was dry, the rain started at 8 and had to pack it in.

Hi John have tried all colours red is the worst, amber is an improvement but I still prefer plain white light.

Watch amber filters latter in the year on stubbles they are crap foxes just vanish.

Green, well what can I say personally I wouldn't waste your money. Getting the wind right and field craft is more important than any filter.

Cheers

Dave

Archived