Sounder and Dannys trip up to Connemara

JohnGalway

Friday,5th December 2008

Hi folks,

Not had a night out as late as last night in a while! I'm not 100% sure if these guys have joined up here or not but here's a story about how we got on the night they arrived up for a bit of lamping.

I was messing around here at home yesterday afternoon when Sounder gave me a ring, "I'm thinking of traveling tonight, are ya doing anything later?", "Come on up!". I was a bit concerned, as ye'd expect when lads travel a fair distance for a nights shooting I wanted them to be able to go home after having a good night and bagging a few foxes.But with the nature of the game there's never that guarantee up this way I'm afraid. I checked the weather on the Met.ie site, cold, calm with clear skies. Beautiful night for rifle shooting, there was a good chunk of the moon showing and a more stars than in Real Madrid but we'd just have to deal with that.

Sounder and Danny arrived sometime between 9.30 and 10pm (he didn't get lost this time, or didn't admit to it anyway). After the usual mug of tea, chat and gun fondling, we managed to prise ourselves out of the house just before 10.30. Plan for the night Danny is on the lamp, Sounder has his Tikka .243 with lovely S&B scope, I brought along my battery pack, and considered the shotgun but on a calm night it's a waste of time so dragged out the Remington .223. Sounder had also brought his bitch "Lady" along to help picking up foxes, she's not long after pups so it'd be a nice easy run out for her.

First stop is an area my sheep graze part of the year, a neighbour also lambs out there in Spring so knocking foxes over is doing him a favour too. Danny spotted a fox mooching around out on a hillock. He wasn't too fond of looking at the lamp, so we had to move to another spot to get a better look at him. Sounder got the Tikka set up, I ranged the fox at 222 yards, Danny dropped the beam down to light up the fox and there was a Crack!... Thud! out of the end of the T8. Nice shooting Sounder! I could relax now since the lads had at least one in the bag. We headed out and spotted another fox, probably this ones mate, but she didn't want to hang around and after passing some sheep we lost sight of her. We picked up our fox and made our way back to the 4x4, me going to my knee in a bog hole in the process, keep me awake for the night anyhow!

On to our next stop, we were driving slowly along a farm track. Spotted a fox way out, a good 600 yards or more. Tried calling him in but he was already traveling away from us and showed no interest in backtracking. On we drove and spotted another out in a marshy spot. Danny had him in the lamp, I was the shooter. Fox was 184 yards out, I hesitated too long, felt like I was going to fall off the 4x4, never got comfortable with the rifle, so I didn't take the shot. My own fault, I could have taken him really but I was happier than if I'd missed him. We followed him out a bit into the bog but he was cute enough, staying well ahead of us. We think there may have been two in that spot.

On we went, Sounder spotted a pair of eyes on a hill along a river. Muzzle of my unmoderated rifle was too close to Dannys head, didn't want to deafen the poor lad, the excuse book was out in force last night. Our fox went around back of the hillock so we'd to move a bit for a better view. He came back down the hill to have a hunt around in the long grass by the river bank. Sounder sent him an early .243 Christmas present and knocked him down on the spot at 120 yards. Tell ye something, they sure do make a mess of a fox!

We headed out to pick him up. On our way back we were walking along the top of that same hillock. I'd my rifle and Sounder the battery pack and Striker. He saw a fox watching us from below on a flat. Think we were all a bit surprised at this one. He had to have been able to see us against that clear night sky, best I can figure he was waiting for his mate to come along (sorry fella, not gonna happen). I got down with the .223, Sounder lit him up and I sent a 40 grain Vmax into his chest bowling him over on the spot. Poor Danny had to navigate the swamp to pick him up!

Photo of our nights bag and both rifles.

SL380316.jpg

I'd say we spotted something like 9-10 foxes during the night, difficult terrain and lack of interest from some of the we ended up with three nice foxes in the bag. Nothing wrong with that number for around here to be honest.

It was a pleasure to see Sounder again and of course to meet Danny who's a top class lamper, nothing got by him during the night. There was some good shooting and a no small measure of craic to be had. Ye're welcome up again any time lads and I'll be down myself to miss a few. Also must thank the two lads for traveling that distance, I know ye didn't get home until late because of the icy roads.

A great night :ph34r:

Archived