Out with Dan

kip270

I had a phone call the other day, “Kip, I seen a large Dog Fox this morning crossing mine and the neighbours farm, any chance you can come up and have a look with the rifle”, well I didn’t need to be asked twice.

Dan & I went out on Sunday night, armed with the FoxPro and the .222, we spotted three foxes but only one presented any chance of a shot, and I missed!!!!!!!! And yes Dan gave me some stick over it. :wacko:

So tonight we were out again, arriving at the farm at 6.20pm, we headed off to our first field; Dan was the shooter tonight and me on the lamp. The other night we went out we were using the Lightforce, but tonight I swapped it for the Clulite Blaser.

We walked over a small brow and then we had more chance of scanning about, on with the lamp, and along the edge of the wood I had a good look around, then at the end of the field I spotted a Fox, at around 200 yards, but it was in the other field on the other side of the fence. I got out the FoxPro and stuck it on the woodpecker distress, on low. The Fox headed straight for us, but at the last minute turned and disappeared into the wood, I left the call on and we could see the fox amongst the trees walking through the wood, but it never gave us chance of a shot.

I then scanned around and there was another Fox to our right in a different field and was looking straight at us, but there was a hedgerow in the way, we could see it when we were stood up, but when Dan tried to use the Varmint sticks he couldn’t see over the hedge. So we slowly walked closer to the hedge, and along to a gateway so Dan could use the post to shoot off, but the Fox had other ideas and was slowly making off. We made it to the gateway and Dan was ready for the shot, I scanned around and caught a glimpse of the Fox, I shouted “Oi” and the Fox stopped and looked, “Bang” Dan fired, but missed!!! He reloaded and was ready, I shouted louder “Oi”, the Fox stopped and Dan fired and missed again!!!!!! :D (My sights are smack on as I went out yesterday and checked them)

The Fox ran off to our left and then up the hill and to our right and into a small wood, I could still see it now and again, so now it was a game of cat and mouse, we were walking along trying to head it off, and the FoxPro was still on and in the middle of the field.

The Fox stopped and Dan said it could take it, so I left him to it, he settled down and squeezed off his shot and missed again!!!!!! Now I was not impressed, and neither was Dan.

I picked up the FoxPro and switched it off, and we then carried on, but didn’t see anything, and the rain came in….so we decided to call it a night and head off home, but I was still searching the fields in case we spotted something.

Then I spotted a Fox down in the hedgerow some 400 yards away, so we carried on and stopped at a good spot so the wind would be blowing from right to left and so carrying our sent away from the Fox.

I set the call on Fox rally and called for about 30 seconds, but the Fox turned tail and headed off up the field away from us, so a carried on with the call and scanned around, then about 200 yards to the right of the Fox that was heading away from us another one was coming towards us???? I left the call on for a few seconds and then pressed mute, and the Fox was still coming towards us, so Dan got ready on the Varmint sticks and waited for the Fox to come within range.

The Fox hung out of range and then headed off, and by now the rain was coming down heavy so we carried on to the car, then I scanned in front of us there was a Fox in the small wood that Dan had missed his first one, and our scent was blowing straight towards it????

I gave a few squeaks with the WAM and it carried on towards us, Dan asked if I wanted to shoot, so he grabbed the lamp and I had the rifle, Dan scanned around but we couldn’t see the Fox at all, so I carried on with the WAM, and then we spotted it again, so I settled down on the Varmint sticks and readied myself for the shot, but with the rain I couldn’t see through the scope, so a quick clean and I was ready, the Fox stopped at around 180 yards, so I placed the cross-hairs on it’s head and squeezed off my shot, “Thwack”, my shot was true and the Fox slumped at my shot.

So a phone call in the morning to a happy farmer. :)

No pics as I forgot my camera and my mobile :(

Glad you had a result in the end. Misses can be very frustrating :wacko: . I missed my first fox of the evening with Andy the night Ray shot with us.

Just one of those things I checked the zero before I went out and checked it immediately after the miss just to restore confidence.

Don't forget your camera on your next trip.

Cheers

Dave

Archived