Gerry and his new found talent

silentsoulsleave308holes

well a big welcome to Gerry who hopefully has been looking and has joined also

Gerry is an old mate of mine that has had a break from rifle shooting to tend to his family but is now getting back into the swing of things

a little history is that Gerry and I have fished and shot together for many years and have just got back into things after a couple years break (maybe three by now) anyways when Gerry stopped shooting,rifles, and that which promotes growth and vigour 243 sticks we had been out loads trying to get these bloody things to shoot for ages until he decided enough is enough and sold his burner stick which left him with his shotties and a RF thats been gathering cobwebs.

after the break I think Gerry was shocked at my gear change and how much my gun room had change and all that I was getting up to that he found out during our update chats.

we set about a few weeks ago getting his confidence up by getting him to shoot 308 and he was really gob smacked at how well they do and he shot a good group at around a 1/4"

so from a couple of trips to get him into things it was time to do it big so off we go on sat morn to blast some fur, got to the fields, little Africa to be precise, and I set about scanning for fur

after a while of not finding any I found him a tricky target in the form of a fidgety magpie, you know how those little tombola don't stay still, well I told him the only thing I can see is a magpie to which he replied " where where lets shoot it" so I quietly shocked him by telling him thats its only 521 yards and dialed him up and dialed a little breeze

bang.............the round hit dead center (155Gr scenar) made a whole and came out the other side leaving a bullet trail into the grass, the bird flew up about 8ft then dropped dead

I shook his hand and welcomed him to the 500 yard club and as we all are he was a bag of shakes after that

we waited for something else to show (which was a while so we had lunch) and then I spotted a rabbit, I cant remember the exact distance but it was over 520, he lost that one due to not quite enough wind so thats my bad really

any way nothing else showed so we packed up and moved off to the boulders to see whats around and on arrival and unpacking the that which promotes growth and vigour I explained to Gerry where we were going to shoot and explained that straight out in front of us we will see rabbits at around 470 ish and Gerry asked where was it I shot those rabbits past 800 so I explained that it was over there between the gate and the bush with yellow flower (just looked like a yellow blob at 800+

well Gerry was sat on the bench at the time with the rifle and was looking through the scope as I was explaining and after he had said something like "that which promotes growth and vigour thats miles away" he spotted a rabbit and I grabs a rifle so he can explain where

I hear the words " can I have a go at shooting it" I look at him and smile with a grin on my face. I noticed he had calmed down and was steady again (after being on a high from his previous 521) so I walked over, settled down to ping it, dialed it in with some wind and told him to take his time, he's comment was how far is it then, to which my reply was 816 yards mate

again I told him to take his time and aim DEAD center...................bang.............................roll over.....................yes mate you got that................then ......................thud,wop,pop......................was the reply as the sound of dead centre gut bust making its way back to us

well you can imagine how high he was after an excellent days work, new massive Pb's and a big shock after previously shooting rabbits out to around 150 yards

a few ten Min's later a fox appears at 400 ish and being still on a high and shaking he managed to miss it but we've all done that so I found him a nice small light dot on a boulder at just shy of 400 (390 something) dialed him in and told him to concentrate, bang.....the first hits dead center so I tell him to load another, bang.............second shot dead center......bang....third shot dead center

he put three rounds into a 5 pence coin (not center to center but inside of)

well done Gerry on a whopping 521 Pb and 816 pb

will post some pics tomoz

ja

Nice shooting Gerry glad your getting back into things, you'll find it very addictive.

Nice write up Jamie, we'll have to get our heads together to sort out a visit again for some long range fun.

Will have a chat with Ray and sort something out when the nights draw out.

Looks like Ray's .308 is going to be a good shooter, you'll be called the Parker Hale gang shortly ;)

Get some pictures up :D

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Its good to hear Gerry was in his element..Especially up at the boulders where the wind can be a bit tricky, but when there is not a lot of wind, there are some very nice long range targets to be had ..

I find magpies one of the toughest of quarry species to nail, always on the move...and very wherry.....a very good shot at 521 yards...well done Gerry. :D

Lets find Gerry another Rifle so he can get back into it proper.....a PH.308 maybe..????

Me...I`ll keep using my Musgrave as is till next year.....then a nice 26 inch heavy tube is on the cards...... ;) ;)

Well done Jerry!!!!! ;):)

Jamie i was thrilled to hear about Jerrys shooting and what a way to join the 500yd club!!!!! :D :D

Weather was absolutely spot on that weekend and was glad to hear you boys made the most of it , looks like you shall be looking for another Parker Hale methinks!!!! :o:D

All the best.................

RAY.................................. :D :D

Archived