CHARLIE

Guest Sprags

I am constantly let down by my old lamping partner so I invested, a while ago, in a scope mounted lamp, tonight it was to be used for the first time in a long while along with the sticks that I have never used yet!!

Anyway, I ventured out tonight to try and get a fox that has eluded me for a while. My game plan was to go out a lot earlier than usual, so I was out and ready to go by 18:20, I intended on setting myself up in a field that this fox crosses and lie in wait!!

I checked the field and to my surprise there he was, I started squeaking but he wouldn't come in at all. The reason for this is that a lad I took lamping last week shot at and missed this fox twice, this obviously educated him........

I decided to make my way round the other side of the farm house and try from a different angle, this worked, for there he was just sitting and watching me, I couldn't take the shot though cos' I couldn't get comfortable on the sticks (or the fence post for that matter).

fox006Medium.jpg

I made my way back to where I had started and got my self set up on the sticks again, lamp on, and there the little bugger was making his way down a riverbank to safe cover. He continued to stay low but move along the riverbank and every now and then he just popped his head up to check where I was. He dissapeared out of sight........

I gathered all the gear together, again....... and quickly went back to the other side of the farmhouse flicked the lamp on to see him sat by the side of the river, the lamp was turned off and I headed straight for him, I got about 175yds and set up on the sticks, lamp on and there he was, he was all mine...... or so I thought. I just couldn't get comfortable on the sticks again.

So I fecked em' off, closed in on him and set up on the bi-pod at approx 140yds, put the lamp on, got the crosshairs on him and dropped him with a head shot. I had to retrieve him from the riverbank to take the picture but here he is.

fox009Medium.jpg

I was back home for about 20:15, just under 2 hours and the fox was dealt with.

Here's the effects of the trusty .243.....

fox008Medium.jpg

I take my hat off to all you lads that can shoot off the sticks, it is indeed a skill!!

Regards,Sprags!!

Its great when you have a good lampman, it can make all the difference between getting the shot or not.

I have done it and still go lamping on my own when needs must,

It dosent bother me that much but when you are calling and trying to scan with a scope mounted lamp it can become hard work.

Nice job there SPAGS hope you sort a lamping partner soon its nice to have a bit of company :D

Good going Sprags its not easy lamping, calling and shooting and makes the night hard work but as Nem said some times needs must.

Hope you get a new more reliable lamping partner aas its good to have some company and share the crack.

Cheers

Dave

Great one Sprags. I cant use sticks at all. Much prefer to crouch and steady my left arm on my knee if a prone shot isn't possible..

Funny you should consider a rifle lamp inferior to a lamp buddy though. I've tried both and def prefer a scope mounted lamp... Horses for courses i guess.

Congrats sprags i find in certain circumstances i prefer to lamp alone but it can be hard work,as for shooting of sticks i also find it very hard work

I know waht your saying about the bi-sticks but i found them usfull whan shooting rabbits with my 22lr.

But I did make up a set of tri-sticks -- I think you may find easter to use those as they stand up by thenselves. Just an idea.

but when you are calling and trying to scan with a scope mounted lamp it can become hard work.

Nice job there SPAGS hope you sort a lamping partner soon its nice to have a bit of company ;)

It is awkward trying to scan with the scope mounted lamp, as you say Nemasis. I have a lad who is keen to come out so I should be up and running again soon, until then it's just me! ;)

Archived