.223 load data

kbfife

When I asked Bradders to build my AR, I told him I wanted to use it on fox, vemin, munties and could he assure me that it would shoot to an acceptable level of accuracy for hunting with 55grn Blitzkings and some target with 75grn Amax. The rifle came with a 20" Border cut rifled, hand lapped barrel in a 1in8 twist and shoots brilliantly from 55-75grn rounds.

My 55grn Blitzking load is : 23.5grn Viht N133, CCI small rifle primer [standard], Lapua brass, makes 3280fps, this load shoots 1/2"@100yds and is one grain lower than the point at which extraction becomes a problem.

However many components you have left over, to achieve the potential your rifle should achieve, I'd still reccomend binning the magnum rifle primers and attempting to find someone local to you to swap/try some of the components as suggested on previous posts by other members on this thread.

You're running a lot of powder for very little return imo.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Pete

i was only reading this page on this site last night and found it very good ..all you need to know is on this page http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Try another primer, not Magnums, cci 400 or Rem 7-1/2br, what it will cost to buy 1 box of primers to compare the results is a no brainer, I've never had great results with Varget in my .223, 20" barrel, 1-8 twist, saying not great they still went sub 1" @ 100yds.

Vihtavouri 133, Benchmark, and H335 are very good powders for the .223.

52gr A-max shoot exceptionally well in my rifle using all 3 of the powders above despite the tight twist.

As for 55gr being to heavy for a .223, I definitely don't agree, my rifle shoots 52gr, 53gr, 55gr, 60gr, 69gr and 75gr all sub 1" @ 100yds.

Where are you located? as has been said someone close enough with different components could donate small amounts to get you on track.

Try another primer, not Magnums, cci 400 or Rem 7-1/2br, what it will cost to buy 1 box of primers to compare the results is a no brainer, I've never had great results with Varget in my .223, 20" barrel, 1-8 twist, saying not great they still went sub 1" @ 100yds.

Vihtavouri 133, Benchmark, and H335 are very good powders for the .223.

52gr A-max shoot exceptionally well in my rifle using all 3 of the powders above despite the tight twist.

As for 55gr being to heavy for a .223, I definitely don't agree, my rifle shoots 52gr, 53gr, 55gr, 60gr, 69gr and 75gr all sub 1" @ 100yds.

Where are you located? as has been said someone close enough with different components could donate small amounts to get you on track.

hi all, i have a .223 as well looking for a good roe load, so propobly 55grain hp's however i have a ruger and its a 1;12 twist, what a good weight for this rate, and which powder shouls i buy?

Thanks Rick.

Thanks for your help and input lads, but I think I am sorted out now, I have found a crcking 0.75" grouping load, that fits my requirements and bops everything. I have given up on the varget, I just wasnot getting the performance with it, and is difficult to use in the powder throw, and the compressed loads wire too fiddely.

So I now Use H322 and am getting on great in the 1:12 Tikka.

I think the load is over max, but it seems OK in my rifle.

Lapua Match .223

25grns H322

52grn A-Max

COL 2.230

CCI Mag small rifle

Dont know the velocity but its accurate and hits hard.

Cheers

KB

Archived