Finally got him!

shrek

Had a quck outing with the lamp last nite now the grounds finally dry enough t get the truck across (in places anyway) and most of the stock was now off the farm. anyway as the wind was different last nite i went backwards to the wa i normally do things to keep the wind rite. No sign of anything....

Driving up a disused railway cutting that runs through my farm looking out into the fields when i came out then end of the cutting i saw a pair of eyes bolting... fser than i had ever seen, well over 600 yards away.... lampshy fox....??

so i drove on, didnt get 10 yards futher on when another pair of eyes appeared from the same direction as the first eyes, definitly a fox!

Started sqeeking and in he came slowly zig zaging his way towards a fenceline infront of me at about 120 yards i thought i'd take him there. I watched his eyes bob comer as i wathced him in the dim patch below the main beam, then just as he got to the fence, planted the main beam on him.... dissapeared!!!

Looked and looked and suddenly got him flanking me at pace, i knew then it was a dog i'd been after for 2 years.

He was getting futher and further as he was moving diagonally away from me so i floped onto the floor wippind the bipod legs down

OOOIII!!! i shouted as he stoped and looked, as a 87gr v max flew, heard the thud as he bolted like stink! i was sure i was dead on him and i lost him!!!! how on earth i thought!!

after a couple of minutes looking and squeeking i carried on rather annoyed and drove on to where i had seen the fist set of eyes bolting across a far field, when i got there i found a terrified town cat ontop of a straining post, old charlie mush have not liked a little top cat after his dinner!

Thismoring i went and looked for any sign ofthe fox, he had ran 70 yards with no lungs and dropped dead! i was amazed that he was so hard to find as this was a flat field grazed down to theroots and i couldnt locate him in the lamp!!

Just a querie however, thats 2 from 2 foxes that have run from the shot, from a new batch of v-max's, has anyone else had this???

Yea the 6BR is getting a fair bit of use these days! Thankfully plenty of confirmed kills to go with it :D , just glad i got that old fella, he was starting to annoy me, shot his vixen 2 years ago with him sittin next to her, he probably got abit of splatter as it was a head shot with a v-max back in those days with the 22-250. since them i've been trying to catch up with him, just let his guard down last nite!

Well done on getting that fox. Personally I've had no problems with expansion with 87 Vmax out of my BR, they all blow up nicely.

Have you a batch number and I'll check to see if I have any.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

They are expanding, but just not as much as usual, the last two i've shot square in the chest, taking out heart and lungs yet they have still ran 70 odd yards. Maybe my foxes are just hard as nails! ;)

There batch number is 22440

I'd say that whatever the batch number, if you're taking out the heart and lungs there's not a lot more the bullet can do. Perhaps as it was a very shy fox he was all pumped up with adrenaline, that would give him a little more drive to get away just like a scared Deer often legs it when it's spotted you before the shot?

I shot a 250lb Whitetail Buck the other day with my .375H&H, 270 grn softpoint to the boiler room which really made a mess. He ran a good 75 yards, god knows how ;)

Hi Shrek

In the past i have had problems with V Max's expanding they seem to vary quite a bit from batch to batch , i contacted Hornaday about it and it takes them about 6 months to answer emails and basically they couldn't give a toss . I have a permanant cure for them , use Berger MEF's instead !! No problems there , job sorted .

Spiderman

njc, i know what you mean about the adrenaline issue which could account for this certian fox as he knew what was goin on! however the last one i got was sitting licking his arse not giving a toss about the lamp and was only 70 yards from the muzzle, this batch just dont seem to be giving the same thump factor as others i have used, on pulling the trigger you dont get that feeling of "SIT DOWN!"

Spiderman, alot of manufactures for all sorts of things dont seem to care about their customers satifaction (which doesnt really boost your confidence), however my v-max loads shoots consistently accurate, i also switch around with the 87gr hollow point for roe which is as accurate and because i live in the middle of bumble f**k no where getting hold of components is always an issue! Haha, cheers for the replys lads

Regards

Shrek!

Nice result ,never had problems with v-max but the lad that owns the local range once sold me some soft points as he had no v-max left,said they were just as good how bloody wrong was he they were going right through the foxs resulting in two lost one night, this was a while ago now, i now use nosler bt to great effect

Archived