A note of caution!

Just leaving a note of caution to anyone who stalk's the newton stewart area of dumfries and galloway who are guided by Jim stewart, a good friend of mine watched two lads stalking through his woodland last week from a hill on the estate, by the time he caught up with them they had left. He caught up with them sitting in the next layby up the road, fortunatly he had his camera and had taken photos of the lads in the wood and the van in the roadway... It came from them that they were authorised to shoot the ground from jim Stewart, So i know some of you guys are on here are associated through him and dont want to see you losing your tickets, if you are stalking with him ask for written proof of shooting rights to the ground, especailly if he's leaving you to it.

I apollagies to anyone who knows this man as a friend and good deer guide, he does had access to land some good deer ground. However as i am a local to the area, i know he is well known for this sort of behavior, fortunatly my friend let the two lads off with a very harsh warning... others may not be so lucky!

Shrek

Nice of you to keep the lads informed Shrek!!!!!!

Thanks for that!!!! :D:D

All the best..............

RAY.............................. :blush::angry:

So the fellow knowingly gave permission for two guys to shoot on ground that he had no authority to use? I would have thought it would have been more of a problem during the roe buck season when there's quite a few people coming north of the border for hunting trips.

Like the others said,good to know about this, & if I ever decide to go out stalking with an agent,I'll be sure & ask around to see if they've been up to no good!! Danny

Funnily enough I was involved in a similar incident on a days stalking I had bought. I was one of three rifles out that day with a guide. A lady came up the field on her own to confront an armed gang of men (us!), turns out she owned the ground and the guide did not have authority to be on it!. His excuse was pretty lame and vauge, that he has seen a guy who said he owned it and that it was Ok, first name only. Lady had not heard of him and I have not been back. That in my book was poaching and armed trespass and was inadvertantly guilty of both.

This was however nowhere near the advised area and the guide is not the same guy.

A

Brings back memories that Shrek. Over 25yrs ago we used to visit the Newton Stewart area for the Geese as you know. One night we got talking to four lads up for the same.

They told us how lucky they had being one morning, you lot having a sheriff's court & that. They got on with a guide, who met them one morning, charged them £20-£30 each, I cannot remember exactly now, he pointed which fields they could decoy for the morning flight, & wished them well, & left them to it.

It wasn't long before they were confronted by the farmer, then the Law landed, they told them the above story, described the guide, & with luck on there side were allowed to go on there way.

Apparently it had happened before, a few others had went through the same. Don't know if they ever caught up with him, but it just goes to show what can happen. It was the old story that they got talking to a bloke in the bar, but on this occasion it was true.

BJ.

Archived