Black fox

Jinks

Went out on Friday night with a mate ( who has been nagging me for ages for a nights lamping) to have a look round one of the local farms, looked to be the perfect night for foxing, clear with a slight breeze and no moonlight, but bloody cold :D Decided we were going to make the most of the conditions and stay out for as long as possible so my big battery pack was needed, a 36ah golf caddy battery in a home made back pack, this has never gone flat on me on a night out.

So we set of on foot at about 9pm, me carrying the battery and lamp and my mate with my Tikka, we had plenty of land to cover (about 2500 acres) an I assured my mate that I had never come back from this farm empty handed in the past (big mistake :blush: ). After 3 hours of walking and stopping on vantage points to call, we had not seen a single pair of eyes :angry: and my mate was begining to complain about aching arms with the weight of my rifle, so we decided to head back to the van. I was quite glad as the staps of the battery pack were beginning to dig in to my shoulders (but I didnt tell my mate that ;) )

By the time we got back to the van, it was near enough 1am, hadn't seen a thing on the way back either. We had walked at least 7 miles of hilly terrain ( I roughly plotted the route on google earth when I got home :D too much time on my hands ^_^ )

I dropped my mate off on the way home, who was now knackered, but I wasnt happy about going home empty handed so I decided to call in the farm next door to ours on the way home. the farmers wife had phoned me earlier in the day to say she had lost 6 ducks the night before. I pulled up in the lane, unloaded the kit from the back of the van, flicked the light on into the nearest field and instantly had a pair of eyes staring back at me. I think the fox was more shocked than I was and he ran off up the hill away from me. I settled the bipod on the bonnet of the van, tracked him in the scope and made a little lipsqueak, he stopped just a few yards from the top of the hill, giving me a safe backstop to make the shot at about 120yrds.

As I walked up the hill to retrieve the fox, I shone the light down into the bog below me only to find another pair of eyes looking back at me at about 200yds, I lay down prone and found him in the scope, I could see the eyes an a pair of black ears just peeping over the top of the reeds, black cat I thought until he got up and turned side on, long nose and bushy tail gave the game away so I pulled off the shot.

I retrieved both foxes (both dogs) and found the second one to have a completely black chest and belly, black ears and a near enough black tail. Never seen one this colour before.

Jinks087.jpg

Jinks089.jpg

Jinks088.jpg

These two made up for a disasterous 'first half' and also had one very happy farmers wife!!!

Cheers,

Jinks

Nice job there buddy ,thats sure one lovely looking charlie :angry: ,

And keeping the farmers wife happy as well, aint you doing a thorough job :D:D ,

Did you speak to Neil afterwards about the gun job?

Good one all the best Andy

Well done Jinks. Not seen a fox like that in the flesh so to speak but I've seen photos of similar. A 36amp batt :D You had your Weetabix that morning lol! Have you got a cross chest strap on your back pack? Joining each shoulder strap, it might help you a bit with that weight.

Nice write up and pics. Seen similar black ones before but with not as much area as your.

Now that is a serious battery, makes my 7AH woefully inadequate and saves on gym membership :D

Well done Jinks. Not seen a fox like that in the flesh so to speak but I've seen photos of similar. A 36amp batt :D You had your Weetabix that morning lol! Have you got a cross chest strap on your back pack? Joining each shoulder strap, it might help you a bit with that weight.

Hi John,

The back pack I've got is made from an army side pouch which I've modified to fit on a web tex yoke, the yoke has plenty of padding on the straps around the top of the shoulders, but it narrows to 1 inch webbing under the arm pits, this bit can dig in after a while. I'll have a go at joining the shoulder straps, it will be easy enough to do, thanks for the advice.

I only use a 36ah battery because I got it for nothing :angry: , I also have a 14ah belt pack but it struggles on long nights and will always fail when I've called that fox from a long way of and its just coming into range.......... :D .

I think I have a photo of my kit somewhere..............

DSC01499.jpg

Cheers,

Jinks.

Nice job there buddy ,thats sure one lovely looking charlie ^_^ ,

And keeping the farmers wife happy as well, aint you doing a thorough job :angry::blush: ,

Did you speak to Neil afterwards about the gun job?

Good one all the best Andy

She phoned me today to thank me for doing a good job ;):D:D and said she would call me back If she has any more 'problems' :D:D

Haven't spoken to Neil yet, will do this week.

Cheers,

Jinks

36ah you must be built like a brick s***house to lug that about,thats one fine looking fox never seen one that dark before i think i would skin that one out

Archived