JUST A QUICK SPIN

nemasis243

Well after a week of hit and miss weather I just had to get out the house tonight as it was cold but dry and no wind, my favorite conditions for calling.

I took a spin with a mate of mine who is down on holiday for a few days while he is on leave, so we went up to an estate where I have not been to for about 5weeks, I picked up the mule and off we set, It wasnt long before we come across the first fox who was mooching around in the long grass about 130yrds away, so I plugged him right in the napper ;)

From the same place I had a good call for about ten minutes and after a long time here comes another one , but when he saw the light didnt want to come any closer, he was standing off about 270yrds out but the backstop was not good, so I put the red filter on and left it for a couple of minutes,

I started calling without the lamp on and after about 2minutes had a quick scan , here was charlie comming in ,now he was about 180yrds and the shot was on , I put the rifle on the X sticks and my mate held the lamp , as I said shine on him the fox stopped and then started moving round to the left, I gave him a loud bark and he froze and looked at me , it was in that split second that the old 58grner did its job, they certainly do punch holes in things :blush:

We drove round a few more fields and saw nothing, so as we had only come out for a quick spin as my mate had to do the family thing, we started to make our way back, as we drove up the lane a fox ran full pelt across infront of us,through the hegde and into the field, we drove up 30yrds and turned into the gateway which was open, flicked the light on and there was charlie and a friend about 160yrds away ,

They didnt give a toss about us being there , so I got down on the bipod and sent a round at the furthest one away,

I always shoot the furthest first as the noise of the round hitting the fox if he is behind the otherone, sometimes makes him bolt in your direction, which on this occassion he did, I shouted as he was trotting towards me and he put the brakes on and this gave me enough time to put him to sleep ;)

So we Had 4 in a very short space of time which was great as my mate loves to come out when he is home on leave.

13022008046.jpg

I wanted to get out tonight as I had shoot 299 foxes up till then and I wanted to get number 300 under my belt, so I am really chuffed that I have a total of 303 so far. ;)

Cheers Andy

nice going andy and congrats on breaking the 300 mark, that is a serius amount of foxes in a year, dont think I have shot that many in my life you must hunt over a serious amount of ground.

Yep I do have a fair few acres to shoot over and have been very lucky that I can do the fox control anyway I feel fit ;) , if I want to use baits I can and if I feel the need to use a quad or mule there is no problem taking them on the land, I am very lucky there.

I have had a few mates off the site also shooting foxes with me , this would bring the total well up around 350+ , its great to see someone else who enjoys having a blat a charlie ,having the chance of seeing a few, nothing worse than someone comming down for a nights shooting and not having a shot ;)

I always try and give them the best time I can and upto now it seems to be going OK. :blush:

Dave (6MMBR), Ray(Varniter) and Gethin(Young 1982) have had some great nights out with me and I must thank them all for their enthusiam and their friendship.

Its great to think that theres one part of shooting in this country where like minded folk can get together and share a great time and long may it last ;);)

As for targets I just play it by ear, if I go away to work for a while things come to a holt so I take the oppotunity when I can.

Thanks Andy, I've always hed a cracking nights sport wheni've been down with you.

If I hadn't shot 47 foxes with you since June you would have reached the magic 300 long ago.

Thanks again and well done, Ray and I are looking forward to our trip out in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Dave

Archived