Couple of Vixen`s

foxwhistler

Had a new lampman starting with me last night,so decided to take him to a farm about 10 miles away that has always been good for foxes. Truth is i have been looking for a new lampman for a while,and when Matthew asked if he could come out,i was well pleased. He`d done a bit with dogs over the years,so knew the score,which is always a benefit.

Anyway,arrived at the farm at 9 pm and had a quick word with the farmer,just to find out the usual (any foxes seen,where they were seen,what time and any dead sheep lying about the land). It`s suprising what you can find out sometimes,just by asking.

First of all we headed downwards to check a few fields below the farm buildings, and then headed upward`s,toward`s the marshland at the top of the farm. I`ve seen so many foxes sniffing around the marshland over the years, i couldn`t even estimate a number.

The night was very dark last night and as we headed upwards the breeze began to pick up.Only problem was that the wind was heading towards us.

After a few fields we spotted the first fox of the night, but it wasn`t going to stop for anything,and was soon gone.

Got to the next field and stood by the gate and shone the light round the field. About 200 yards away stood a fox, but headed up toward`s the top of the field when the beam hit him. I started calling using the homemade fox call, and he started back down the field.He was delinatly a big fox, but didn`t want to stop as he headed parallel to us along the hedge.

Deciding the fox wasn`t going to stop i decided to try my luck. I aimed right at the front of his chest, thinking that it was then more likely to be a complete miss or a good shot than to hit too far back and wound the fox (i dont like runners). Unfortunatly i missed completely, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

We then walked down to the next gateway and as we shone the lamp,there was a fox standing about 140 yds away side on.I leant on the gate and aimed just behind the shoulder, and squeezed the trigger. The fox dropped straight and didn`t even twitch. Here`s the photo.

DSCF0402.jpg

It was a really big vixen and had obviously been having a good life. That is until it met the 204. :D

After carrying out the burial in the nearest hedge,we headed up to the marshland.As soonas we got there and scaned the land we picked up a fox,in amongst the rushes. It headed of to the right and was about 250 yds away, but when i started calling it started to move towards us. It must have got as close as 150 yds but then suddenly turned,and headed away, and even trying different stop calls,nothing worked.That turned out to be the only one spotted on the marsh, though in the past i`ve seen 5 at the same time there in the lamp.

We headed back down and caught one fox flying down a field about 200 yds away,and with no chance of it stopping,i didn`t try a call.

After that i decided to try a couple of fields at the side of the farm. The first field drew a blank, but when we looked over the gate into the small field next door there was a fox right by the hedge.I tried calling and the fox went into the hedge, so we moved back into the first field,thinking the fox might work down the hedge towards us.At least moving out into the field, we may have a bit of a chance to see him coming. No sign though so we went into the small field, and there was the fox at the top of the field, but standing on a brow. We switched the lamp off and walked towards the fox, to try and get a shot.When we switched the lamp back on though, there was the fox heading over the next field. we then decided to go back to the middle of the small field to try some calling.

After a few minutes calling,we saw a pair of foxes on the other side of the hedge, but they just wouldn`t come into the field we were in. I kept trying to call them in but they wouldn`t have it, and after a few minutes were gone. I then told Matthew to have a look round with the lamp,and there was a fox in the field behind us. I told Matthew that although it was a safe shot, it wasn`t my land to shoot, so i started to call it and it slowly started to move toward`s us.

It took a bit of time, but eventualy it came over the hedge into the field we were in, and without stopping it, i put a round, smack in the middle of the chest from 40 yards. Funnily enough, when it was coming toward`s me, i thought it was a small fox with mange, but when i went up to it, it was a very light coloured fox,and probably this years cub. Again it had been doing well.

DSCF0403.jpg

There seems to be a gene running through a lot of foxes on this farm, that means about 50% of all the foxes are very light. Have any other member`s got any land where they shoot a lot of very light coloured foxes?

Anyway that was the last fox of the night, but we saw about 9, and a few seemed to be paired up. Maybe time to start using the vixen call.

Regard`s, Jamie.

well done and like the rifle :D we had one the other night 250yarder lovely shot down hill as well also shot with the .204 aimed bang on dead before it hit the ground ,then had another one had to shout oi twice to stop it ,i only gave a small call just to get its head up but it just kept coming ,that was shot at 50yrds between the eyes not much fun with that one ..what grain bullet you useing ?

At the moment i am still using 32g v-max over BL-C (2). However i have only got 6 rounds left.When these finish,i have got some 39g sierras loaded over benchmark.They group in the low .3`s so i am hoping they do a good job.

Archived