Dog well and truly banged up.....

Guest martin

I was out with the dogs just for a walk last night,and,Ula got scent of something(munty I think)and gave chase into the woods,this does happen pretty regularly,so,I am used to it so I carried on around the wood while the terrier followed Ula.Usually she will overtake me after a hundred yards or so at a rate of knots,but,this time she just very gingerly wandered up behind me with her head down as if she had done something wrong,so,I immediately thought uh oh,another split pad or something,but,when I looked her over I saw a HUGE gash down her right side just behind her shoulder,so,I phoned the vet immediately and arranged to meet her at the surgery.We then took a slow walk back to the truck,as I didn't want to pick her up,as it was obviopusly very sore,and I also didn't want to contaminate the wound any more than it already was.I had to leave her at the vets where they cleaned her up,cut away part of the skin as it was dead(?)and then stitch her up,I picked her up this morning,and,luckily it appears that she has only damaged the skin muscle and not any major muscles ie. shoulder/chest or back,and,she has slept most of the day as I expected her to,but,I am dreading her waking up,and feeling like she wants to run around or play with the terrier,anyway for the not so squeemish here are a few pics of the wound before and after stitching.........I must just say,I am astounded by how much damage this little girl can take in her stride,Mike Brown surely has the toughest whippets about................

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC_0002-16.jpg

DSC_0003-6.jpg

Hope she mends well, I had somthing similar happen to my lurcher when she was a youngster but she ran on to a stick that was poking up from the ground she is right as rain now and has won quite a few races at game fairs since. At the time I think I was in more shock then the dog she wasn't that botherd it was 8 inches long and 10inches deep through the shoulder but fortunately on the right side of the ribs.

Dave

oooowww...thats a gash an a half....Any idea how it happened??

I don't suppose I will ever know for sure,but,she has been turning a few munties out recently,although it could be any number of things.............Martin.

Had a fellow syndicate member with a gsp sent the dog to look for a shot ( and thought dead) munty, it opened the dog up from shoulder to haunch and its insides were hanging out. They got her into the vehicle with a towel to keep things in and took her to the vets who conveniently live next door to our cottage. They stiched her up and 3 months later you would never know it had been cut.

Muntjac are expert in the use of their canines in defence and they are absolutley razor sharp due to rubbing on the bottom lip. Just remember this anyone who is not used to shooting and handling muntys, they will do the same to your leg or hand, always poke with stick or rifle muzzle before handling.

Redfox

just as well it was only the skin that got ripped ,still a nasty cut though ..

Thanks Col,and,everyone else that gave their best wishes,she is definitely on the mend now,and,it is a hard job to slow her down..................Martin.

Hi Martin, those photos made me wince, glad to hear shes on the mend. Like Redfox's mate, I work a GSP on muntjac but never let go of her long tracking lead unless its a doe and i'm sure its dead. Any showing any signs of life get shot again without hesitation. I have dog insurance to cover vets bills but I had to fib about her being a working dog (I say working but shes self-employed really!) I think that they might grizzel about paying out for an injury effected by a deer given that i'm a deer-keeper! I think I will insure my next dog in my girlfriends name to get around this. JC

Archived