Dogfox

Chunk

Went out on one of my permissions this evening looking for a fox that had been giving the pheasants some hammer. The last time i went we picked it up in the light after a bit of calling but it didnt present a shot, and i thought it would be troublesome as the keeper had fired at it a couple of times with a shotgun without sucess.

There were that many hares about that we lost it in the long grass, confused with the amount of other eyes that were being lit. Gave it up as a bad job.

Tonight i went alone, as my mate, who runs the farm,said he couldnt make it as his broken rib was giving him gyp.

Arrived in the field near the release pen that was taking loses and parked up under a stand of trees facing the woods. The field sloped gently down and then came up to the treeline giving me a clear safe shot out to 150yds.

Standing on the discos rear bumper, with the rifle set in an uncle buds bull bag i started calling with an electronic caller, scanning about with the lamp. Within minutes i caught an eye at about 100yds, but not a clear shot. Turned out the light, and called again.

Switched on the light again to see a fox crossing slowly from left to right. The bull bag gives a good steady rest to take a one handed shot, and when the fox stopped for a second, i squeezed off. It dropped to shot. 75yds

On inspection the 50gn v-max had blown a good size hole in the chest.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r248/remmy597/001-1.jpg

He was a big lad, as can be seen next to my rifle. There was considerable satisfaction dropping this fox as although i am not a member of the syndicate, i am the only person who shoots there with firearms so there was a bit of pressure to sort the problem. Texted my mate, who was over the moon, and passed on the good news to the landowner. A good result in under an hour.

Cheers Andy.

Good shooting, Andy, good feeling when you get the one that's causing trouble, isn't it?. That's a big fella, alright.

I posted on another thread about dog foxes being larger than normal at the moment and just yesterday was speaking to a friend who hunts with dog and shotgun in Mid Wales. He too is getting what appear to be unusually large dogfoxes. I wonder if it's the time of year or some other factor.

Does anyone have any comment?.

Peter

Andy, firstly good going there buddy a cracking dog fox.Nice on mate :D

And Peter ,I have started seeing and shooting a quite a lot of XL foxes of late both dog and vixons,

I keep records of all I shoot and I include alsorts like weather,moon phase,temperature, time and amount of moisture in the air.

It makes interesting reading and I have found that every couple years I seem to hit some really big foxes,that are noticably alot bigger, dont ask me why or how :D ,

If I was just shooting a small patch of ground, then I wouldnt think twice about it , but I am covering 1000's of acres all through Wales and shooting a lot of foxes per year.

I have also noticed that down my way I have seen cubs very late in the year, as I shot one last week that was about three months old.

A friend of mine who is a big bird watcher has seen two lots of cubs comming from the same Den in the same year,from what he seems to think is the same Vixon.

Stange isnt it , theres one thing for sure, when you start studying the fox, you learn something every day

Cheers Andy

Andy243,

I've not noticed the vixens to be any larger than usual, just the dogs. Lot of cubs about too, well grown and establishing territories.

Yes, it is true about learning more about foxes every time you go out. Sometimes, though, I'm astounded what I don't know, if that makes sense.

Same with deer, although having been stalking since the early '70's, I'll still pick up many a nugget of useful information.

I must admit to being a lazy sod and don't keep records, except to note when, where and how many in my desk diary. I stick to daytime during the full moon periods and mainly lamp during the moonless phases. Nothing better than a moonless dry night with a decent breeze from the Southwest. Green blazing eyes everywhere!. I won't go out if it's raining or misty, don't like getting the rifle wet(and me) but mostly worry about proper identification due to the moisture in the air dispersing the beam. With the restricted vision in those conditions, I feel that you can make lampshy foxes too easily as they may identify you without you being able to see them properly.

BTW, do you get up this way, particularly the Llanelli area, occasionally or are you mostly way down West ?. If you're up this end at any time, give me a call.

Andy C

Yes, love those Vmaxs - super bullets, good price and very accurate. Knocks the snot out of them at any distance you care to mention. Nice looking rifle, what calibre is it?.

Peter

I do a lot in the Llandieollo area , Brecon, Lampeter and then up the north of the country as well.

Do a bit in Crosshands but dont venture into Llanelli,

Will have to get you down for a shot sometime ,

cheers Andy

I do a lot in the Llandieollo area , Brecon, Lampeter and then up the north of the country as well.

Do a bit in Crosshands but dont venture into Llanelli,

Will have to get you down for a shot sometime ,

cheers Andy

Andy,

Next time you're down in Crosshands............................

Peter

Andy243,

I've not noticed the vixens to be any larger than usual, just the dogs. Lot of cubs about too, well grown and establishing territories.

Yes, it is true about learning more about foxes every time you go out. Sometimes, though, I'm astounded what I don't know, if that makes sense.

Same with deer, although having been stalking since the early '70's, I'll still pick up many a nugget of useful information.

I must admit to being a lazy sod and don't keep records, except to note when, where and how many in my desk diary. I stick to daytime during the full moon periods and mainly lamp during the moonless phases. Nothing better than a moonless dry night with a decent breeze from the Southwest. Green blazing eyes everywhere!. I won't go out if it's raining or misty, don't like getting the rifle wet(and me) but mostly worry about proper identification due to the moisture in the air dispersing the beam. With the restricted vision in those conditions, I feel that you can make lampshy foxes too easily as they may identify you without you being able to see them properly.

BTW, do you get up this way, particularly the Llanelli area, occasionally or are you mostly way down West ?. If you're up this end at any time, give me a call.

Andy C

Yes, love those Vmaxs - super bullets, good price and very accurate. Knocks the snot out of them at any distance you care to mention. Nice looking rifle, what calibre is it?.

Peter

Its a Howa in .223. I bought it as a package with a wildcat mod. Incredible acuracy with handloads. Its my first centrefire and i couldnt be happier with the performance.Its just a cheapy but i cant see me getting a more expensive rifle as it does what it says on the tin. 270yd rabbit is my pb with 15mph cross wind. Absolutely superb

It was a moonlit night so i parked up under a big oak so i wasnt on show. The wind was still. Crap for rabbiting, but good for foxing. Its the biggest fox i`ve taken and i havent had many this year. Numbers are deffinately down

Andy,

I've heard good things about Howa, I'd like to get one but they don't come in lefthand. :(

I have two Weatherbys made by Howa, a 300 and 416 and they are both very well engineered. If present day Howas are anything like as well made, you've got yourself an excellent piece of kit.

Peter

Archived