Reloads and Bolt Locking

sandersj89

As some of you know I shoot a Steyr Mannlicher Pro Mountain which has a 3 position safety which in the third position locks the bolt down for extra safety.

I have also recently started to reload my own ammo and have recently noticed a small problem that I believe to be related to my reloading rather than the rifle, let me explain.

(My reloads using once fired Federal brass, fired in my rifle. I am using RCBS full sizing dies and all brass was checked prior to reloading and trimmed it required. Bullet used is a Hornady Vmx 75grain, all complete rounds where checked for length and were within tolerances)

I load a home made from the magazine into the chamber and close the bolt in it’s first position, apply the safety catch to the 3rd position and then press the bolt handle down to lock it away.

No issues at this stage.

When it comes time to take a shot I normally ease the safety to the middle position, rifle is still safe but the bolt handle should click up ready for the safety to be moved to the “off” position once I am happy to take the safe shot.

However the bolt handle is not clicking up as expected and gentle finger tip pressure is needed to move the bolt handle up to allow the safety to be turned off.

Initially worried this was a rifle problem I tried some factory federal ammo in it and the bolt functions perfectly, so it is down to my reloads.

The bolt action feels the same with both types of ammo, it is not stiff when closing or opening the bolt, the safety functions normally as does the set trigger.

What should I check with my reloading process or measurements?

Thanks

Jerry

could it be headspace? While you say the bolt is still as easy to close with your reloads as with factroy ammo, maybe the slight growth of the first firing on the brass is just putting enough backward pressure on the bolt/lugs that it isnt slack enough to allow the little click you are used to? Have you got a headspace checking tool? Its sounds like thats what it is and if so its not really a major problem, headspace growth would be expected on first fired brass and the way you need to just lightly press up on the bolt handle definatley sounds like it just has a hint of extra pressure on it.

Archived