Fogged out but all got sorted in the end

nemasis243

Well the phone went Wednesday night when we were I was out foxing, a good mate of mine needed a hand to try and mop up a few charlies on one farm before the winter set in , so last nite we set off to the farm , as we approached the main gate there was a blanket of fog right down the valley, this was over before it began :( , anyway we had a back up plan just in case of such an event, I got on the mobile and just confirmed that we would be lamping a perticular piece of land and off we set. :P

This piece of ground was slightly higher up and no fog was present ,so we parked the truck and set off for a walk round , we went through a gate half way up the field into a long field with a big gorse bank about 300yds at the end , we walked into about half way and started calling, it wasnt long before a pair of eyes appeard from the gorse and started moving towards us, my mate on the lamp just kept it just above him as we normally do and all you can make out is the eyes , when it got to about 80yrds , I whispered "OK" and the full beam lit the fox up , he didnt take much notice just slowed down a little but kept comming , I shouted "OH" and the fox just froze and I sent a 39grn B/tip from the 204 right down its nose, :D

28012008028.jpg

my mate swung the lamp round to see if anything else was about and there was another fox running away across the field, I reloaded and as he slowed to a walk I sqeezed off and hit him square in the shoulder

08102008252.jpg

We called a little longer and had one more but that was shot the other side of the river so never got to it to take a picture , this would be collected by the farmer who would be over there on his quad today.

Then we dropped down a couple of mile to another parcel of land owned by the same farmer as we drove through the gate I picked up a pair of eyes in the headlights , the fox disapeared through the hedge into the field next door, so we drove to the next gate ,got out and set up , switched the lamp on and there was charlie about 180yrds , got settled on the X sticks and sqeezed off , another one in the bag, when we got over to it ,I had down this fox a big favour he was thin like a rake and had a big septic gash one his back left leg , I dont think he would have lasted much longer with the cold weather starting to show.

We then went into one last field and had a good call for about 5mins , not a sign of anything, so me and my mate were just having a quiet chat and he just flicked the lamp on ,there was charlie way off in the next field moving towards us, so i started calling again , no Charlie started comming, flat out when he got to about 120yrds I shouted , nothing happend, he just kept comming, 100yrds I shouted and he's still comming when he got about 70yrds , my mate gave an almighty scream and charlie put the brakes on, just enough time for me to put one right between the eyes ,

What a thud , as I sqeezed I saw what looked like white spray in the air, when we got up to the fox , first thing i noticed was the size of the thing ,this again was a belter, the white stuff I had seen spraying about was his eye balls exploding, the bullet never exited but the skull was mashed ,it was like a bag of water.

08102008253.jpg

Just to give you some idea of size I am holding the back leg and its nose is almost touching the floor, and its nearly the same length as the gun with the mod on, :D

08102008254.jpg

08102008255.jpg

So we had another 5 and a cracking nights bit a fun,

I wonder what tonight will bring , going over to my ex's place tonight she has a few charlies running about the farm and I seem to be flavour of the month again, until she gets the "!BILL" :);)

Good shooting Andy, I'm glad you don't live in this part of Wales, there'd be no foxes left of the rest of us!.

You seem to be getting some monster dog foxes and I wonder if that has happened in previous years with you?.

I also wonder if anyone else on the forum has found the same thing, or is it just this time of year ?.

Peter

dont you just love the .204 just right for shooting foxs with .nothing better than to see the bullet hit ..nice shooting by the way,the way i think now is 120yrds and under are to close now not that it is just that i like a longer shot useing the .204 ..i bet the farmers happy..

Archived