Grasshopper, best ever foxing twice over with

tikka 223

Friday

Set off Friday evening after work,got to Rob,s(Tikka 223)2&3/4hrs later,had a coffee and then a delicious Venison caserole.Many thanks to Mrs Tikka 223-who said she would only accept responsibility for it,should it be edible,no worries there then.

After checking into the digs and getting changed,we were off,myself,Rob and Jay our spotter..well his eyes were much sharper than mine and Robs old ones.

We parked up and set off on foot,3rd field in and a set of eyes were spotted.After manouvering ourselves into a shooting position on a hill looking down into the stubble,I was now prone on the bipod and ready,lamp on to reveal a large dog fox lying on some straw at 196yds(Ranged).He looks my way and stands up but only his head and neck are visible.A gentle sqeeze of the trigger and we hear a thump.!st 1 down after only 15mins.

SS100282.jpg

Picture taken,fox disposed of and we move off only to see another set of eyes coming into the field.This 1 hangs up at the hedge..scenting the previous fox we thought,so we give it best and move to the other side of the farm.

Nothing is seen so we get onto some bales and have a call.I spot a fox with the NV and start to bring it in.The straw in this field is in rows over 2 feet tall and we lose it.Although we spot it again,it keeps jumping into the hedge,so we head back to the where we shot the 1st fox.

Nothing is seen,we are at the same spot the shot was taken previously and have a call.Rob picks out a Charlie some 120yds away that must have come like a train considering the ground it had covered.Down onto the sticks and Robs says are you ready-yep,so lamp on only to find foxy is standing behind the only cover around.He moves off and Rob stops him with a shout,I look and can only see 2 rabbits head out from the scope to see the rabs are right above his head as the field lies!back on the scope and off he runs DOH!!But wait,he stops at the end of the field(146yds ranged),turns side on and has a last look,I,m still lined up on him so,crack thump and watch him crumple.

SS100284.jpg

As Rob is disposing of him,I spot another with the NV but we lose him in the hedge,then spot another500 yds away.

No calls will move this 1,so we walk closer,finally settling about 200yds away.This shot is over a hedge up onto a bank.Lot of cover here but eventually the fox moves out into the open.I shoot and hear a thump,as did Jay(Robs to old and deaf)

We hear it slide into the ditch which has a stream running through,but after 25 mins of searching,nothing is found,There was a lot of cover and holes for it to get into-so we don,t count this 1,even though we are convinced it is down.

Once we reach the top of the hill again,we spot another set of eyes in the drilled field we called the 2nd fox from.Rob thinks he will follow the hedge to us and it is confirmed through the NV.At 100 yds,the NV is off and the lamp is on,Charlie is facing us at 90yds now and a gentle squeeze of the trigger does for him.

SS100285.jpg

As I,ve never shot more than 3 in an outing,Rob is determined to beat this(we didn,t count the 1 not found) so it,s into the motor and off to another farm.

The wind is wrong,and we see 1 looking over a rise after Rob tries a call but it,s off.So we cross to the far side to get the wind in our face and head back to the motor.Suddenly,straight in front at about 140 yds,is a fox lying on some loose straw just like the 1st fox.I,m onto the sticks in a flash and hear..are you ready,sure am,fox no4 and I,m feeling confident.It rises when the lamp goes on and I see how relaxed Charlie is( he has a glance to his right but doesn,t move)so I know I have a little time,x is placed between the eyes as as this is the biggest target,crack -thump;I see him roll and know I,ve done it.Big grin and I shake Rob,s hand.It,s now 3-15am so we call it a night-cheers mate,you were true to your word in saying you could get me at least 4.(All dogs)

We took a picture of it with young Jay who lasted the whole night(6+hours)

SS100288.jpg

Saturday

Spent today checking Rob,s feeders and visiting his RFD,s to get some bullet heads for re-loading.Lovely people who are keen shooters and are very interested in knowing about your shooting not just there own.

Drive into the field just after dusk and already a set of eyes.I get it moving with some mouse squeaks but it moves into a field of maize.We decide to try a circle around the field to see if he will come out when we are away.It works and he just sits in the edge looking at us.well I didn,t need 2 chances and the 1st of the night is despatched.Yet another dog

SS100289.jpg

As we enter the next field,Jay spots a fox in the headlights(oh to have young eyes again)engine off,lamp on,line up,crack thump,fox down.

As we get over to check,another set of eyes are picked out.So after confirming the 1st 1 is dead,we head for the other.

This fox is very wary and no shot is possible,so we head back to the 1st to get a piccie and dispose of it(another large dog)Thought I,d best get into apicture just to vary it.

SS100298.jpg

We shine over to where the wary fox was and see 2 sets of eyes now.

The motor is parked beside a stack of straw bales and Rob tries a mouse squeak which immediately brings in a Barn Owl.Wish I,d had the camera ready,as it landed on the straw not 8 yds away from me,wonderful sight.

The foxes are having none of it.The NV is brought out and we settle down to watch and see.1 fox starts working the hedge towards us.After about 20 mins of it moving closer,then further away,and at 1 point being joined by the other,a shot is possible.

I take it and fox no3 is in the bag.A vixen at last.

SS100300.jpg

The other is off and so are we.

Into the next field and a fox is seen with the NV after only 5 mins,but this 1 crosses and into another field too quickly(had to wait for a safe shot).

I try a call and have a fox steaming in,Rob lamps and it is duly added to the bag.Another Vixen to end with,as although more were seen,including the wary 1 as we went back and had another look,nothing more was added to the haul.Our spotter who made it through this night also.

SS100303.jpg

So to sum up,an excellent trip south once more.8 fox picked and 9 shot over 2 nights.with Excellent company.Cheers Rob and Young Jay is a star,old and wise beyond his years.Had me in stiches with his wise cracks on numerous occasions,oh yeah,and he,s better on the lamp than some fellas I,ve been out with

Archived