A pair of vixens

6mmBR

Well again it was a cracking day yesterday so I slipped down to see Andy.

We popped up the shoot with hopes high for the 1000 yard bunny, but sadly things don't always run to plan.

Cattle were in the field where the bunnies come out so that ended that sadly before it started.

Never mind it was a sunny day and great to be out and we had a couple of hours to kill before we met up with Mark for the nights lamping.

Sadly nothing really wanted to play ball, although Andy came awfully close to a pigeon at 640 yards, I'm sure his shot lifted the bird in the air in a spray of dust.

The sun started to set and the call of the chippy got ever louder.

Of we wandered to the chippy and ordered pie and chips. I don't know what it is but they always seem to taste better out of the wrapper.

We had arranged to meet Mark around 8.30 to set off for a nights lamping around the pens to mop up a few stubborn foxes that eluded Mark.

We loaded everything in the Daihatsu, Mark driving, Andy lamping and myself standing in the back shooting off the roof.

It was a still old night, the sky clear and beautifully light with stars and a hint of mist in the low ground.

Off we set and lamped a few known locations but no joy.

Driving up one of the farm tracks we spotted a fox in a fresh cut field.

Andy squeeked and the fox stopped to have a look, the dot of the NP-2DD already on its shoulder. The little TAC doesn't recoil much so I watched the 40 Vmax hit broad side and the fox was polaxed.

Up we went to fetch it back the shot proving to be a good 170 yards.

Well what a prime condition vixen, fat as pudding and a cracking brush to boot.

DSCF0855.jpg

I was suprised it looked like she was already in winter coat and a fair old size on her

DSCF0858.jpg

We drove around a bit more but nothing showed so we went back to the yard to return the Daihatsu.

All the kit went back in Marks van and we headed for home.

Mark said we'll have a quick look in one fresh mown field on our way home.

We parked up the van and sure enough Charlie was in there mousing.

No luxury of a roof to shoot of so I lay prone. Andy held the fox in the beam long enough for me to get a well aimed shot off.

The plop of the round hitting home seemed so loud on the still night, thankfully another Charlie sorted out.

Well to our suprise another large vixen with a cracking coat and brush. I think they must be well fed on poor old Marks pheasants.

DSCF0860.jpg

Any way another cracking night came to a close.

Never mind we're of to 2 estates to night. Andy and I are going to catch up with Vern and Jim and hopefully Charlie ;):lol:

Cheers

Dave

Very well done boys - hope you get similar, if not even better results tonight.

i'm out later at dusk to wait for a charlie that's been feeding on my mates partrige- theres an earth not to far from one of the pardridge drives on a nice sandy bank, so i can sit and wait for the little swine and hopefully get a shot with the 6.5 x 55 & a 100grn Nosler as he/she comes out to play.

I see you boys have been busy again!!!!! ;)

A nice writeup and i see you are having alot of fun with your tac 20 Dave!!!!!!!!!! :):lol:

Speak soon mate and all the best...................

RAY............................. ;):D

We had another 3 on Saturday night with Vern the keeper, the fog was a problem.

I took the .22-250 Ackley for a spin.

Andy was impressed the one fox I shot the round lifted it a foot in the air :ph34r:

Andy had to have a go and bowled over a nice 180 yard with her.

I think we would have had more foxes but as I said the mist was a real problem.

Cheers

Dave

The great condition of the foxes this time of the year seems to continue, all be it these are now dead.

DSCF0864.jpg

They are a couple of the ones we picked up in the fog last Saturday.

Cheers

Dave

The great condition of the foxes this time of the year seems to continue, all be it these are now dead.

DSCF0864.jpg

They are a couple of the ones we picked up in the fog last Saturday.

Cheers

Dave

Niceone dave

the 22-250 ack smashes em up fair!

wht load you running?

how do u find the nf np2dd ret for lamping & varmints as ive jsut sorted myself out a 5.5-22x56 nsx:-)

Andy

The .22-250 Ackley load I'm using is 43 grains of vit N550 and a 52gn Berger BTHPM bullet this is leaving my 26" barrel at 4030 fps and is very flat out to 300 yards, virtually point and shoot.

The other question about the NP-2DD, I find it superb the illuminated dot gives very rapid target aquisition at night and in the day a very uncluttered field of view with a very precise aiming mark.

Cheers

Dave

After you shot that two and you gave me the rifle to try on another fox , I was so impressed of the rifle and also the capability of the round :) , as I said to you Dave I had a 22-250 for a while and it just didnt float my boat :o , but the Ackley, well thats a different animal :) .

I found it a smooth round to shoot and that Charlie I nailed didnt know what hit him :D

Archived