CAUGHT CHARLIE HAVING DINNER

nemasis243

Well guys i am only putting this on here as things seem to be a bit slow on the posting side of things, we have a lot of members out there but not much being put up for people to read.

Had a missed call from a shooting friend of mine on my mobile yesterday, as I had the phone switched off as I was a gun on a driven partrige day and what fun I had , wheather and company were good and the shooting was even better.

Anyway I rang him back and we made plans to go and have a look round his small Pheasant shoot as he knew there a couple of charlies there but couldnt catch up with them ;) .

When i arrived at his house he said he would rather me shoot tonight as his back was giving him a bit of trouble and he didnt fancy carrying it ,so I was to use his gun, anyway we arrived at the location and had a good look round ,after half an hour we scanned a pair of eyes some way off in the distance ,

I put the scope to my eye and it was a big old black and white thing mooching around in the grass, so we carried on .

As we drove past a gate which we had come through only 2 mins before I just flicked the lamp around , there was Charlie sitting out in the field about 60yrds inside , stop I said , reverse, as he was going back I was putting the 204Ruger out the window,

Sods law the charlie was rite behind the top bar of the gate and I couldnt get a shot from that possition, I sat up ,I slouched in the seat but to no avail, it was not comfortable as I didnt want to take a chance at hitting the steel gate :excl: .

So the fox just sat there looking at us , "I will to get out" I said as I pulled the handle of the door and got that nasty click charlie sprang to all fours ,

"Leave him, he's gonna spook" I said so we drove off up the lane, the gate to the next field was open so we drove in , now we had just been into to these fields and had a good look round only about ten miutes before hand and we had seen nothing, as we entered the field there was a fox running straight away from us down a long field which I thought was the one from the field next door?, turn left I said and stop, I got the fox in my sites ,the fox was trotting away some 150yrds by now, I gave him a sqeak and no reaction ,so then I gave him my favorite sound to stop a fox, a load meow , he slowed down and looked back so I did another and sure enough he stopped , I sqeezed a round off and hit him rite up the hoop :o , charlie didnt like it, , he dropped like a stone , my mate was over the moon :D , he said that bugger has been round here for a while and I never ever seemed to be in the rite place for him,

So we drove down to him and it was a well on dog fox cub, I said this isnt the one I saw through the gate :unsure: so we got back in the truck and drove to a high spot in the field which looked back into the field where I first saw one, sure enough there was charlie laying down in the grass, every now and then raising his head to have a look around," he's on something there Simon "I said ,so we set the truck side on so I could shoot off the bonnet.

The charlie was now 250yrds away and if we went lower in the field I wouldnt get the shot as you would struggle to see him in the long grass.

I chambered a round and said to "Simon whats your Zero "," half inch" he said, so i thought just put it on the top of his shoulder ,I sqeezed a round off ,THUD! I saw the water that was on its fur spray off him from the shock wave , it was an awsum site he see :P , Anyway drove back to the first one and took a picture ,Simon wouldnt put in the truck so I could have a picture of the two as he had just cleened it out as he had to pick some people up the next day.

24092008235.jpg

Then we drove back down the lane to the gate , I hopped over and had a look at what he had been eating , it was a well on pheasant , the fox was stuffed and looked like he had been living well for some time ,put it next to the rifle to give you an idea of its size.

24092008236.jpg

Sorry the photos are a bit dark I used the camera on the phone with its bilt in flash, when I looked at them on the phone screen after I took them they looked fine but when i down loaded them there not up to much,.

We had another spin round but didnt see anything ,but I am sure theres another one or two there some where, maybe will have to try a little bit of bait to see whats about , cheers Andy

good tools are the .204 but you know that already :unsure:im out tonight foxing .aint put any posts up for a bit, but i have been nocking them over but been posting on another site ,just thought i d give you guys a rest from seeing them ;) will do a post if i get any :excl: heres your pics but a bit brighter

post-2977-1222355468_thumb.jpg

post-2977-1222355479_thumb.jpg

Good going guys.

Please post any of your exploits as we all love to read about them.

Hopefully after my trip down to see Nemasis today we'll have something to write about.

I think we're on the quest for the 1000 yard rabbit B) just got the 6.5-284 out the cupboard in case :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Archived