out again

pnse

out again last nite had a mate doing the calling had a few problems with my lamp so we used his which had a red filter on,he called for a few minutes when he sead two were coming in but for the life of me i couldn't see a dame thing under the red filter and lost the both of them.So we tried a different approach red for him to call and spot then flip to white for me to shoot spotted a couple more but a bit too far out and wouldn't come in then my mate spotted this one coming in behind us he came in to about a 180 yards but started to turn away so white light on and he stopped about 30 yards further out and locked back half a second later one behind the shoulder put him down on the spot,when i picked him up i couldn't see an entrance or exit wound the 40 grn vmax dumped all its energy inside the fox i gave him a shake and it was like a bag of liquid so any doubts of these little 20 cal's not being up to the job are unfounded.

DSCN1056.JPG

PS anybody else have trouble seeing anything under a red filter

Good going, you really are chrisening that .20 Practical.

I've found with the .20TAC and 40 Vmax they do the job admirably and normally as you say don't exit leaving a right mess inside Mr Fox.

This feature is also verty safe as no exit there are no real risks of damage behind the target.

I have to agree I hate a red filter, why shine something red onto something which is a red colour it makes it very difficult to see.

I've got by with a light with no filter for 20 years, the secret is if you don't educate them, you won't get lamp shy foxes and you won't need a red filter.

Cheers

Dave

I unfortunately at times have to use filters of different colours on foxes that somebody has had a go at before and I get called in to sort a problem out.

If you need to use a filter as the foxes are a little spooky try an amber one, it takes the edge off the beam from the foxes point of view with regards looking at it and it also give you more light transmission from your lamp rather than red. :o

I have been out calling foxes for people to shoot who have cocked it up the first time and have asked me to go with them to see what i can do,what alot of people forget when using the filter is it reduces your light to target but also reduces light behind the target,many people seem to have tunnel vision when Charlie is in the light :P ,

As Dave said the secret is not to educate them , if you dont think the shots 100% try something else , either move possition or try another method of calling to get him nearer. :lol:

Nice going pnse, seem to be getting on with the new rifle, 40g v-max is definatley an efficent bullet.

Nice one pnse,we tryed the red filter on some lampshy fox's but like you found it very difficult to obtain a clear target even though they were well within range

i use the amber filter on my striker 170 thats stuck on top of my 4x4 and see just fine out to 250yrds and a bit ,i like the amber becouse it still cuts down the beam of light so others cant see it from afar but i can ,you know what some people are like B) i have used the red one but its hard to see anything really past the 180yrd point but your eyes will get used to it over time but the ambers the best bar none,if you need one, thats the one to have ..

Archived