Right on Time

nemasis243

Had a bit of a busy day yesterday, was in a meeting till late on Friday night, then I went shooting got home 1.45am, cleaned the gun , then bed , then up at 4.15am and on the road up to Dashermans just out side Basinstoke, got there for about 8.30.

A mate of mine wanted a new barrels on a couple of rifles and after seeing the results of the work on my BR and also the groups that Dave(6MMBR) is getting with his 20 TAC . wanted Niel l to do the job.

Any I am digressing abit, Had a call Friday from some people that got a chicken farm about 20miles away from me ,they had lost a couple of birds Thursday night that they couldnt get into the hen house and charlie had been round and did a Job on them :o .

So that night i went up quite late with a mate and had a good look round ,the farmer had showed me where the kills had taken place and where the fox had taken a chicken and eaten it. I noticed that in the mud where a load of small pad prints, so i assumed it was a cub or a Vixon.

We looked round for a couple of hours calling and just waiting, then here comes Charlie,walking across the top of an old stone wall.

As soon as he touched the ground ourside the shot was on, only about 70yrds but he stopped well i his tracks by the 243.

When I got over to him I noticed straight away that this couldnt be the one that had been there the night before, as the paws were a lot bigger,

So I set up a bait attached to a small travelling alarm clock,which is taped to something solid to stop it being pulled away, the theory being ,when he pulls the bait which is attached to the small battery in the clock by fishing line, he pulls the battery out and the clock stops , a method which I have used a couple of times.

I have found that you have to suspend the bait slightly higher than a fox wood stand ,as he then can smell it easier and has to jump and pull down on it , thus pulling the battery out . The first time I did it I just laid the bait on the ground and found that Charlie had sat down and ate the bait and not pulled the line :P

Anyway it seemed the Visitor had been back early hours Saturday morning , the clock had been stopped at 3.19am.

So after a couple of hours Kip I got up and went to the farm about 2.30 this morning and put a tin of Tescos pillchards all over the area where charlie had come to the bait, I had the 243 with the lamp attached to the scope and set up about 100yrds away. There was no wind so that wasnt a consern, I just sat there sitting in my fold up chair watching shooting stars for half an hour , every 5mins switching the lamp on.

Then as I flicked the lamp on charlie was head down and having a belly full, so I eased off the saftey and gave it a 58grn vmax headache :lol:

I picked up the fox and it was a small Vixon in very good condition , so I put it on the concrete pad so the farmer could see it and made my way home Job done.

13092008216.jpg

That's going to hurt a bit in the morning :P

As Ray would say nothing smacks like a Vmax.

A good result, especially after all the travelling around you did yesterday.

I only went to Sennybridge and back and I was shattered.

Cheers

Dave

You looked knackerd when I popped in to see you, thats OLD AGE :P:o

Nice day for the long stuff , gonna take the BR for a spin in a minute, I got a field where the crows are feeling secure :lol: ,

Archived