Sennybridge F range

I've been invited up to shoot with the .50 cal club tomorrow on F range is anyone from here going.

I've never fired a .50 so should be interesting.

My friend said RPA are attending for some testing.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave you'll certainly enjoy it. I was going, but will be at Lydd this Thursday instead, couldn't afford to do both....

RPA bosses Mike and others are quite often there testing their new .338 and 50's. Last time I remember them having some issues with the ejector or something on the .338....Couldn't get the rounds out again without a mallet B) If you ask nicely I'm sure they'll let you try them out for free :P ...at retail of £8 a round for the 50's I shot as many as I cheekily could :D:D Recoil isn't any different to a shotgun....but the noise and shockwave!!! Take earplugs and then wear earmuffs over the top! You'll have a cracking day I'm sure.

Fair play .50 Cal is good fun, I shot my mates new RPA which is an awesome piece of kit.

The recoil on the .50 was not as ferocious as I thought.

I also shot his .338 DSR which was a cracking round to shoot and great fun. The only shame today was not many of the targets were working.

Cheers

Dave

Certainly had good weather for it, for once!!

It seems to be quite a problem with the 9 battery powered ETR targets there....they're either not working at all or pack up by midday :P Hence going to Lydd where there are 25 ETR targets to 1,200 and they're hard wired into the mains so shouldn't die on us.

Quick question....

Has the range warden retired yet? Can you shoot at hard targets on F-range again?

Yes there is a new range warden but unfortunately you can't shoot the hard targets.

Also he was reluctant to let the boys shoot the ETR's with the 50's which seemed a bit pointless.

Cheers

Dave

Here is the view on the way up of the German village shrouded in mist.

DSCF0845.jpg

Also a couple of pictures of me shooting Gareths new RPA .50 Cal

DSCF0846.jpg

And

DSCF0847.jpg

A very interesting gun and not as ferocious to shoot as I thought.

Cheers

Dave

Certainly had good weather for it, for once!!

It seems to be quite a problem with the 9 battery powered ETR targets there....they're either not working at all or pack up by midday :( Hence going to Lydd where there are 25 ETR targets to 1,200 and they're hard wired into the mains so shouldn't die on us.

Quick question....

Has the range warden retired yet? Can you shoot at hard targets on F-range again?

Hi Tiff,

Serial 45 at Lydd is a great field firing range. Facilities are 2nd to none, troop shelter for bad weather and a chuck wagon that does the rounds at lunchtime.

I'm sure the club have checked but just in case:

The ETRs can only be engaged by the long range rifle .338 at 300m +. The .50 can only be used against the hulks at 800-1000m.

The problem with the .338 at shorter ranges and the .50 in general is that a low shot could penetrate the bank and potentially detroy the elastic trickery in the ETR :blink:

The range warden can put up a zeroing frame at 100m and patch it up for you as and when required if you ask nicely ;) He can also give you a map of the targets with ranges marked ;)

Firing from the tower at the timed exposures is interesting too.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Clive

Archived