Popping pigeons in the sun.

6mmBR

Hi lads, I've had a pretty hectic week so I'm a bit late putting this one up.

Last saturday as you know the weather was stunning. Andy had invited me down for a night on the foxes but since the weather was good he asked me up early.

A keeper on one of the estates invited us up for some long range shooting as they had cut some fields of barely which were blue with pigeons :D

We arrived around 2pm and had a chat and we were kindly lent the estate long wheel base Landie.

The best news of all was that my Big Shooter bench fitted perfectly in the back so we had a mobile varmint bench rest :P

DSCF0825.jpg

Our first port of call was a cut field we set up the rifles and took it in turns to shoot the pigeons landing on the stubble.

DSCF0828.jpg

Shots ranged from 200-350 yards, we managed to nail 7 pigeons between us in a couple of hours. It was just great soaking up the sun.

Andy was keen to have a try with my .20TAC and a pigeon obliged landing just over 200 yards away.

He squeezed the trigger and a direct hit resulted those little 40Vmax are devastating.

DSCF0835.jpg

Neil (Dasherman) I've got to say this gun just gets better :D thanks again superb.

We thought we'd have a move to over look a pen and see if charlie may stick his head out.

DSCF0834.jpg

We set up the gear and Andy was in the shooting seat.

DSCF0832.jpg

We scanned the area and I picked out a bunny in the far distance, the Leica reading of 1034 yards.

We did the number crunching in Exbal and put the windage and elevation into Andies scope.

Because of the distance I had to spot through my own tele sight.

Andy was ready and I watched the impact area very carefully, the 6BR fired and I watched a beautiful vapour trail of the 87Vmax on its way to the target. The round fell 2 feet short and a tad to the right B)

what a shot, sadly the bunny legged it and it didn't give us the chance of another crack.

We saw a few more bunnies around the 950 mark but didn't connect.

We have now found our location for the 1000 yard rabbit, we'll move up the field a bit to make those 950 bunnies 1000 yards. I think it will be out with the 6.5-284 for our next attempt, I think this is the bit of ground we'll do it on.

So the afternoon ended and so it was off to the chippy before the nights lamping began.

Cheers

Dave

sounds like you had a lot of fun,how do you find the bench Iam so tempted to get one

The bench is absolutely superb, I bought it off Gary 2 years ago at the Midland Game Fair and although expensive it is one bit of kit I find invaluable.

I don't think Andy and I could acheive a lot of the results we do as I provides a very stable shooting platform. also as you can see it is very versatile and fitted a treat into the back of the landy.

Like you we are hooked on precision rifle shooting and it is one bit of kit which helps make our lives easier.

You won't regret buying one, perhaps Gary may have one at the Midland if your going to have a look at.

Cheers

Dave

Nice writeup Dave!!! :D

I am so glad that the Welsh devision of the fruit slayers club are still doing there stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :PB)

So beautiful scenery there lads and great shooting platform too!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Andys a great chap who i have found always willing to share his knowledge and his passion for shooting , good on ya Captin!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

All the best lads....................

RAY............................... :D;)

I think we'll be on this bit of ground when you come down to stay in November.

The syndicate shoots mid week so week end shooting is fine.

The 1000 yard bunny here we come.

Well we all got into the 500 yard club when you came to stay last time, so perhaps this is the new challenge :P

Cheers

Dave

Great write up Dave and some great looking weather,that looks like one awsom set up on the back of the 4x almost thought it was a yank posting it,tidy bit of shooting aswell,and the very best of luck on that 1000 yrd rabbit

Cant get to the Show at the Midlands, got to go to Dashermans in the Morning as a mate is having some work done on his muskets and then im off shooting with 6MMBR , got to make hay while the sun shines lads, anyway going to the SHOT SHOW with Dave 6mmbr in the States in January hopefully ,so am saving the pennies to buy something nice over there ;) ,

Dave says he knows where theres some Pro shop where I can spend loads of cash, I went to one of these PRO shops in Amsterdam cost me a bloody fortune :P

Or was it Bass PRO he was on about ?anyway it all works for me B)

Ray , cant wait till November Captain ;) , they got some new bits of crumpet working in the Pub and one of them wears Cowboy boots :D:D;)

Guest varmartin

Good write up lads...good pics too.

You cant do without a good stable bench for the long ones thats `fur sure`

Not been out for a while since I busted the free wheel hub on my 4x4...got to get it fixed as have withdrawal symptoms.

Cheers guys, yes that set up is grand, it also has the advantage of giving you height so you can see over hedges.

Enjoy your days out at Weston park.

I'm absolutely shatterd not long come back from F range and shooting some .50 cal and .338, no there's a good 1000 yard varminter :P

Cheers

Dave

Archived