375 H&H For Deer Stalking

Greenbear

The guy who hires me in to haul silage throughout the summer is big into his big game hunting in africa, he has a 375 and was approved to shoot deer in this country on the grounds he insisted on that he needed before hand experience of stalking and shooting living game with it before he had to try it on a buffalo, which if he hadnt had the practice on deer, may cost him his life out on the plains.

He got rid of his 45/70 for a 416 rigby the other day, FLO asked him to justify this large caliber, his reply was:

" do you want me to send to the office the video of the buff that i shot with the 375, it took 5 shots to put down...... with the 416 im only planning on 2 shots to put it down"

As you could imagine my FLO wasnt really expecting that comeback and permitted him the caliber haha!

Its a lovely close-medium range deer caliber and fine for the UK. There is no maximum UK deer caliber and as you might need to politely point out to your local department the 'HO Guidelines' are NOT law simply a guide. If you speak to BASC they will be more than willing to help you out, like they did for me. Worse case you might need to suggest your looking at hunting abroad in the next few years. Then ask for it to be granted for uk deer as well as per the 'guidelines'.

N.B. Funky Bunch, (guess your talking about Ian?) He brought his to the range one day.... It was certainly fun to watch the others faces as they had a shoot with it!

You will struggle to get it granted solely for Deer in the UK. Chapter 13 of the guidelines clearly states that it is unsuitable, and that is what most forces will be keen to stick to. However, if you can prove the need for the calibre for larger game abroad, you may also have Deer as a secondary use once initial need has been proven.

The quote below is from the home office guidelines, and may help you....

"13.35 The police will wish to be satisfied that

an applicant has genuine intentions to use

such rifles abroad, though such visits may be

infrequent. Due to the terms of section 9 of

the 1997 Act, expanding ammunition may not

be authorised in connection with use abroad.

Zeroing with non-expanding ammunition may

be permitted in the UK providing a suitable

range or land is available. Those who homeload

their non-expanding ammunition for

such zeroing will also need to test and

chronograph it. Some rifles intended for

antelope and other Plains Game may also

be suitable for deer, boar or other quarry

shooting in this country. Calibres such as

the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of

those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”

but may, once initial “good reason” has been

established, also be used for shooting the

larger deer species in Britain. Expanding

ammunition may also be authorised for an

applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle

also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.

Where a shooter experiences difficulties in

obtaining “dangerous game” cartridges in the

country where that game is to be hunted,

arrangements can be made for a dealer to

export an appropriate quantity which can

be collected by the shooter at the point

of embarkation."

I was told that if I apply for use in Britain with mine I will need to provide evidence of shooting large Deer. A permission letter from a land owner in Devon would be suitable, or anywhere else that has big Red Stags. If I can do that, I can have it for Deer here. I hope this helps

Archived