6PPC and 58 V-MAXs

This love affair started in july 2002 when i picked up a SAKO 6PPC USA varmint stainless rifle , I have been using the SAKO 6PPC USA brass / FEDERAL 205 MATCH primers while using the rifle in standard guise!!!

The first bullet i tried in this rifle was to be the ultimate favourite bullet (58 V-MAX) , it also seemed to shoot anything up to 80 grains with superb accuracy!!! This rifle has a 1 in 12 twist to enable me to use anything between 55 - 85 grainers.

I loved this combination so much that after 4000 rounds i thought i would re-barrel her!! So with martins advise (6ppc) i sent the rifle to callum ferguson for a new krieger 23 inch / 270 neck / with same varmint profile as before , But this time it was screw cut for moderator , I was able to spot my shots before on imact but now the recoil is next to non existent !!!

Just a note on calums fergusons work , Fantastic workmanship and exellent service - a true gentleman to deal with :D :D ..

I am now minimum neck turning ( I SEEKED A GOOD FRENDS TUITION TO MAKE SURE I WAS TURNING NECKS TO CORRECT DIAMETER TO STOP ANY DANGEROURS PRESSURES) The 220 russian brass and have found since fireforming i can get an extra 200fps with the 58 V-MAX (3450fps) with fantastic accuracy!!

On bunnies out past 300yds terminal performance is great............ these were taken at 210 - 309yds...DSCF1161.jpg

On feathered vermin the results are truly awesome :D When shooting these on 12 mag on scope, even past 200yds the impact fills the scope view!!! and terminal performance even more spectacular and very humane!!!.....DSCF1114.jpg

200yds magpie................DSCF1142.jpg

Also when hunting for foxy its a cracking round - super accurate / super explosive / and give you all the confidence in your rifle........... DSCF1096.jpg

Just my experince with this cracking combination , I thought this was very accuarate before and that neck turning would be a pain in the neck but please beleave me its more than worth it for the results you get!!!!!

All the very best guys...................

RAY....................... :D :D

Good stuff Ray, glad that new barrel is working out.

Any thoughts on a 6.5x47 instesd of your 284?

By the way did you blow up that cow pat as well as that magpie :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Good stuff Ray, glad that new barrel is working out.

Any thoughts on a 6.5x47 instesd of your 284?

By the way did you blow up that cow pat as well as that magpie :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Thanks dave ;) The cow pat was probably something that that maggie must of thought just before impact!!! :lol: :lol:

As for 6.5-47 sounds like a sweetie and shall look forward to hearing your progress with your varminting forays.........

Could be a excuse for another rifle and caliber ;) ;)

All the best..............

RAY................... ;) ;)

A case of brown mist, before the red mist :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Yep right on there dave!!! When the S**T hits it - Its really AWESOME!!!! ( Yes i know , i like that word :lol: )

All the best.............

RAY.................. :lol:;)

Yep right on there dave!!! When the S**T hits it - Its really AWESOME!!!! ( Yes i know , i like that word :lol: )

RAY.................. ;) ;)

Good isn't it :lol: I was impressed with those 40gn Vmax out of my Cooper. Literally boom/bust :lol:

Dave

Hi steve :lol: :lol: There is no reason why the local firearms should of refused you to use your 6BR for fox and ground game / vermin control buddy!!

And as for that i have my 6.5-284 cleared for deer/ ground game /fox / vermin control / target shoooting.

So if was you my frend get some advise from those concerned because their is no reason why you cant use your rifle for those reasons...........

All the best.................

RAY.....................

I cant see too much wrong with insisting you have to have more rifles, very much the opposite in fact. :lol::lol:

You could ask to have them included for "shots of oportunity" which is legitimate. for instance returning from deer stalking and johnny crow just presents himself in a shootable position, supporting the landowner, in the managment of the estate etc.

Redfox

The other trick I have used to get vermin clause is to say you have a responsibility to control vermin on the ground you shoot deer on. Then mention the security risk and impracticality of having to take 2 rifles with you when you go stalking and thus creating a potential security risk of leaving one unattended, whilst stalking/controlling vermin.

The high B.c works aswell so pop it in for good measure.

Cheers

Dave

Madmanx just tell them that you need to use the 6mm on vermin because of its higher b.c when the wind gets up to ensure you make a clean humane kill,works a treat.

The other trick I have used to get vermin clause is to say you have a responsibility to control vermin on the ground you shoot deer on. Then mention the security risk and impracticality of having to take 2 rifles with you when you go stalking and thus creating a potential security risk of leaving one unattended, whilst stalking/controlling vermin.

The high B.c works aswell so pop it in for good measure.

Cheers

Dave

The guys are right!!!

Should be no problems with them passing it , just explain your needs............

LONG-RANGE VARMINT SLAPPING!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck madmanx ;) ;) and let usknow how you get on!!!!!!!!!

All the best.................

RAY................. ;) ;)

Good luck matey :lol: :lol:

Heres my "SUPER POOPER BOOM STICK" my 6.5-284 for the longer range pests...........DSCF1129.jpg

RAY....................... :lol:;)

Heres some other vermin taken with my favourite combo...................DSCF0692.jpg

301yds crow..........DSCF0862.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

Always room in my gun cabinet for this great combination for pest control :lol: :lol:

All the best...........

RAY................... :lol:;)

The rate your going, your going to need another barrel soon :lol:

Dave

Cant get the round in the chamber fast enough!!! ;) ;)

Thats the beauty of those rounds (6PPC-6BR-etc ) They arent too bad on barrel wear!!! Not like me 6.5-284 :lol: :lol:

Those pictures were from last year before barrel was re-placed........... But in saying that , have taken quite a few feathered vermin this year so far!!! ;) ;)

All the best...............

RAY...................

Cant get the round in the chamber fast enough!!! ;) ;)

Thats the beauty of those rounds (6PPC-6BR-etc ) They arent too bad on barrel wear!!! Not like me 6.5-284 :D :D

Those pictures were from last year before barrel was re-placed........... But in saying that , have taken quite a few feathered vermin this year so far!!! :D;)

RAY...................

ray as you know i have been playing around with vit 130 for the last couple of weeks??

when this bugger landed in the same field as i was target shooting in??? i could not beleive my luck??? 200 yards, 58g b/tip 26.6g of 130 and boy did he blow up ;)

17-08-06_1501.jpg

Nice one darrel ;):D you see what i mean about them 58s now!! Fantastic accuracy / great expansion and awesome sight picture ;) ;)

All the best guys...........

RAY.................. :D;)

Well after 5 days of nearly continious rain here in cornwall , this late afternoon it cleared up for a while , so after work grabbed the 6PPC and the 58 v-maxs and went to do some varminting!!!

I wanted to compare the BERGER 60 grain MEFS at 250 - 300yds plus , to the 58 v-maxs on vermin!!!

Both bullets perform extremely well in the PPC in grouping ability but it seems in my experince that just cant touch them 58 v-maxs for sheer terminal performance!!

Started the session with a 294 yds bunnie , took a crow at 161yds then another bunnie just over 170 yds.

I then went to other farm and got another crow and finnished the evening with a bunnie at 257 yds - just before the rain came in again!!!

The bunnie to the left of picture was the one taken at 294yds - Awesome performance..............DSCF1268.jpg

All in all a very happy boy!!! :lol:;)

All the best................

RAY.................... ;):lol:

Thanks onehole :lol: :lol: Good to talk to you again too :lol: :lol:

Take care and all the best...............

RAY........................... :lol:

Well the weather has been good today so went out late afternoon for a spot af varminting with the 6ppc and 58 v-maxs again!!!

Wind was very tricky to read in certain places on farm so had 4 misses :lol: :lol:

But once i started doing my job properly reading the wind got a 286yd bunnie some shorter range ones too , a crow and to finnish the evening off , a nice 321yd bunnie!!!!.......................DSCF1281.jpg

Well impressed with the rifle - bullet combo , all i got to do is get the input right!!!!!

RAY.................. :lol:

Archived