First Charlie with a home load.

Gran

I got the Lee Anniversary kit last xmas,after weeks of book reading & a quick run through with a friend (Nicolas/BBs) I started to reload but it was a while before I could find the time/weather combination to do the testing.

This summer I finally got the time to sort the load.

Last night was the time for the final test,the rounds were in the mag for the first to be used against live quarry.

We parked on top of a railway bank that used to run through one of our shoots so that we can see from a better vantage point & be sure of a downward trajectory, from here we could see that a field further into the farm was still stubble & not cultivated.

We went into the field & parked under a tree that offered a bit of shade from the full moon & would stop the sky lining if we had to shoot off the truck roof.

p1010075jz5.jpg

By merlin99, shot with C3100Z,C3020Z at 2008-09-14

After 30 minutes of intermittent calling & much putting the world to rights as you do when sat in the truck at night, this little vixen came running into the stubble,at first I couldn't see bugger all due to looking smack into the moon light but I had my hat on the indicator stalk so reached through & with that in place I quickly got on target & squeezed the first reload away.

For some reason it seemed to take an age for the "thump" to make it back to the truck but my buddy had seen it go down straight away, to say I was relieved was an understatement,if I had missed would it have been me or the round.....doesn't bare thinking about.

It was R/F'ed at 140 yds.

Anyway she was a small this years vixen in really nice condition & won't be taking anything else off this farm.

For anyone who is interested the load was :

Federal brass.

Hornady 55 grn V max.

Varget 27 grns.

COL 2.25. ( longest /mag size)

Only saw one other Charlie & he was away like an Exocet on first lighting, someone's spooked him before on another plot

Out tonight & may park up & wait for him again while its still light.

Gran

Great satisfaction when you start reloading and its on the money, its a pain in the ASS when you have to try and sort out lampshy foxes, if you have an Idea where he is gonna be and what sort of time , buy a couple of tins of the cheapest cat food you can (cuz its stinks the most ) and spread it around in that area , it will keep him interested and may give you enough time to take the shot, good luck ;)

Great satisfaction when you start reloading and its on the money, its a pain in the ASS when you have to try and sort out lampshy foxes, if you have an Idea where he is gonna be and what sort of time , buy a couple of tins of the cheapest cat food you can (cuz its stinks the most ) and spread it around in that area , it will keep him interested and may give you enough time to take the shot, good luck ;)

I had put down 2 bunnies & 2 woodies about 3 hours earlier, this was the follow up but he was away as soon as we lamped him.

I tend to go out on this farm with the HMR when my oppo' is at shirk, so I will probably get him by waiting in a nearby hedgerow & ambushing him at last light.

He's a healthy eater we know that for a fact :D we'll see how he likes V-maxs for supper.

Gran.

You won't look back now you've started reloading.

A good result and as Nemasis says try some cheap cat food.I mix it up with some dog biscuits, it puls them in and they can't pick it up and leg it like with a rabbit.

Good luck

Dave

Well done mate!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Its really satisfying when you take vermin / game or just long range target shooting with your home rolled loads!!!! ;)

The results can go from dire , to very pleasing with home rolled ammo / the real benefits is being able to " tune " the loads to your rifle...........

Enjoy mate and all the best.....................

RAY.......................................... ;):lol:

Archived