6.5x55

huntsman

I was going through some reloading books and most of the 6.5x55 test guns use a 1in 71/2 to 1 in 9 twist barrel.

The 6.5x55 shoots a large array of bullet weights from 85 gr to 160 gr.

If my tikka t3 has a 1 in 8 twist where in this range of weights suits this best? Will it handle these light weight 85 gr or will prefer the other end of the scale?

My own experience has only been with 100 -140 gr all shot well.

Secondly I was looking at the blaser site and was surprised to see that their match barrel in 6.5x55 is 1 in 10 ? Does anyone know what are the most suitable weights for a 6.5 with the 1in 10 twist?

thanks Dave

In my limited experience, I've had a much easier time with the heavier ammo. Norma 156grn works well in mine, and also the Speer 140grn spitzer and 139grn TSX. The lighter bullets work, but don't seem as accurate. That's about all I can put into it, I'm certainly not an expert but can tell you how my gun has reacted to what I've used.

I own "the" K95 Blaser in 6.5 x 55 as featured in this week's Shooting times

I wrote to Blaser technical department a few months ago with the same query and received a reply confirming that all blaser barrels has a 1 in 8 twist for "match" "semi weight" or "normal" profile. All mauser 03 and blaser barrel come from the same foundry in Suhl

He recommended the barrel to stabilise 10.1 grams i.e 156 grains

I have been happy on berger 140grain VLD Bergers on both target and deer (large or small species)

Although Mr Pott prefers 120grains in my rifle during the test......................grouping 0.65 inch at 100 yards! from factory ammo

Just my 02 pence worth

londonhunter

• 2 weeks later...

Just read an article by Layne Simpson in a 2005 copy of Rifle Shooter mag, on his 6.5x284.. His view is that 1:9 will stabilise a 140 gn softnose ".. which seldom exceed 1.29" long .." .. but longer140/142 MKs & 140 Vmax 1.31", 1.38", 1.39" and a 1:8 twist more appropriate.

He also says "But considering the accuracy of his 1:8 twist with both short & long bullets I do not think that choice will ever be a mistake"

So the answer is ....

good luck

jon

Archived