Trail Cameras

Had a search through the past posts on this topic and some good & bad reviews on some of the cameras out there. I noticed there was a few of the lads had just bought one and was wondering how they were getting on with them.

I am very kean to try one out on some of the rides in the wood. Try and get an idea of the times the biests are passing through.

Any more reviews on any of the cameras out there ?? Any info would be great, good or bad.

Cheers

Ads

If you're intending on getting photos of a moving animal then you'll need a camera with a fast trigger speed. It's no good having good detection and the camera taking an age to get into action. There are various tests and other valuable information here, there's also another good cam site here.

It's very important to be aware that not all cameras will do the same job. Some are very good at doing what you describe in your OP. Others, such as the Moultrie GameSpy i60 are very good at spying on stationary feeding spots, for example where deer would be fed, but not so good at capturing moving animals. Not saying they definatelt won't do it, but I can say from experience they won't do it as well.

If money isn't an object look at this crowd.

YouTube also has some trail camera stuff on it, search using the various brand names and variations of trail cam/game cam etc.

If you're intending on getting photos of a moving animal then you'll need a camera with a fast trigger speed. It's no good having good detection and the camera taking an age to get into action. There are various tests and other valuable information here, there's also another good cam site here.

It's very important to be aware that not all cameras will do the same job. Some are very good at doing what you describe in your OP. Others, such as the Moultrie GameSpy i60 are very good at spying on stationary feeding spots, for example where deer would be fed, but not so good at capturing moving animals. Not saying they definatelt won't do it, but I can say from experience they won't do it as well.

If money isn't an object look at this crowd.

YouTube also has some trail camera stuff on it, search using the various brand names and variations of trail cam/game cam etc.

Cheers John,

Ill have a look through that stuff. All im after is is a photo of a the biest and the time/date of it so i can identify if it is buck doe hind or stag. This way i can work out there routine and the times of day that is best to be on a that particular ride.

ads

I know Ads, but you need to be careful about which camera you chose, what I was getting at is that not all cameras will take the photo you want because of how they each work. So you may buy a relatively expensive camera, as I did, and have great expectations of it taking "the photo you want" and find, to your bitter disappointment that it isn't that simple! Learn from my mistakes, it's cheaper ;)

The Moultrie I bought will take some great photos, BUT, it's not the best for moving animals which results in photos like this...

MDGC0028.jpg

See? Now, if I had a camera in that spot that didn't have a battery life saving "feature" the photo would likely be very different. It would likely have shot the fox still in that gap under the wall coming through it, but since the camera detected the fox, then needed time to "wake up" from it's self induced coma it too the photo above. If you expect the animal to be on the move then you're going to be looking for a camera that is quick to react but because of that has a considerably shorter battery life than the Moultrie because that other camera would be "on duty" all of the time. See what I'm getting at? There are important swings and roundabouts to take into consideration ;)

As for time and date well you've seen the info on the Moultrie photo above, it includes atmospheric pressure, temp, moon phase, date, time and camera ID.

Below is a shot from one of the Bushnells I have, info there just includes date and time.

SUNP0002.jpg

Have to agree with everything you have said and if you want to get the right one take the mans advice, we bought bushnells and wildviews both are slow, to compensate we spread some stoppers on the runs like crushed apples or corn or even peanuts, a mollasis lick works too, slows them long enough for a pic......

Really good info guys, keep it all coming.

Really all the camera is for is to identify the sex and tell me the time and date so i can understand there routing on that specific ride.

So i guess im looking for

1) A camera that wakes up quickly or can run on a sperate battery pack.

2) Has IR so not to scare any Deer or attract unwanted attention from other peeps.

3) Can take pics out to say 40ft

4) Has facilitty to use a SD card to store additional pics.

4) Can take pics of a Deer that is walking past the camera

Not bothered about colour or black and white

God why does it have to be so hard to choose ??. Why cant there be just one camera that does it all ;);)

Ads

Archived