CRAZY RULE

bigdan

just had a bewildering chat with my local flo. i phoned her with regard to getting a variation for a .204 on my ticket. she said that even though i own a 6,5x55 which is on an" open" ticket i still have to get a letter written by the land owner specifically saying that i can use that calibre on their ground. has anyone else heard of this?

im not saying that the flo was in any way mistaken but it does seem odd. i also said my landowner wouldnt have a clue what a .204 was !! but she said that diddnt matter and i still need a letter. :rolleyes:

Nothing suprises me anymore! Most FEO/FLOs seem to make up the rules as they go. I have found that the best thing to do is find out the email address of a senior person in the Firearms department then try to use that for all your communications, when someone has to put something in writing (or email) they have to think it through a little more and it has to be right as they know that you will be saving it or printing it and can easily forward it to others for further advice. I guess you know that the 'Home Office Guidance to Police' is available online for all to see, this is supposed to be the rule book but there are still many areas that are open to discreponcies between forces and individuals. Good luck! JC

I speak directly to the head of firearms now. He's a really decent bloke and seems to know his stuff. I like the way he does things. When the rules changed recently regarding the suitability of using Deer calibres for Fox and Vermin, I had a letter through the post inviting me to send in my FAC to have vermin added to the 6.5x55.

I suggest you do the same. The head of department usually has a good amount more idea than the underdogs.

If your 6.5 is for deer shooting and foxing , they will sometimes contact the land owner to see if you have been granted permission by the landowner to shoot Vermin if that it what you have stated it for :rolleyes: , what a load of B*******S and time wasting.

Thats what were up against lads

Interesting this, spoke to my FEO who's coming around Wednesday, and he mentioned in passing that "I might have to get you to write a letter, don't worry about it, I'll go over it when I see you". This is in regard to an application for a .204. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I was wondering if I am going to have to justify wanting another rifle to use on vermin/fox. I have permission on around 2000 acres so hopefully it won't be a problem. Gareth.

Whilst a pain in the arse there is potential for making the best of a bad situation.

Speak to the landowner, get them slightly wound up about busybody police types and then get them to write a letter along the lines of,

"Dan can use a howitzer on my ground if he wants to as long as you don't ask him to hassle me any more."

Might end up saving time in the future.

just tell them you want the .204 becouse its so safe and not over kill as most of the bullets stay in the fox and if you miss the bullet will break up what ever it hits..twigs ect ,it really is a nice round to shoot you will like it ..i was shooting a red bull can with my .204 the other day out to 275yrds real easy to hit and only aiming at the top of the can to hit it .so no real drop in bullet.

Archived